Chapter 30

[JENNY]

"Here's some paliperidone for Noah. Please make sure he takes them," Dr. Osborne handed a small bottle to Mrs. Emily. "And some anti-depressants too in case he goes... You know.."

We were in the living room, except for Noah and Aunt Clare. He's upstairs sleeping because of the sleeping pill Dr. Osborne made him take so he could relax.

Angel, my sister, was surprisingly in the living room as well, which is still a shocker for me that she's not isolating herself in her room this time.

Harris came home with me. We were both seated on the sofa next to Angel. Aunt Clare wasn't home because she's working overtime at the nightclub where she's working as a waitress... Yes, just a waitress. Nothing more. At least I hope.

Going back to Harris, he insisted he'd come home with me to see Noah with his own eyes. I guess he was expecting Noah to be like what he sees in films where the emotionally unstable people would have panic attacks and manic episodes and just go berserk.

However, when we got home, his mood fell disappointed.

"How was he Mike?" Mrs. Emily questioned, clutching the antidepressant bottle in her hand.

I presume Mike is Dr. Osborne's first name.

"Fortunately, he's still sane. Thank goodness. But his schizophrenia might be getting worse and worse."

My eyes widened in shock.

"Schizophrenia?" Harris blurted involuntarily. I nudged his shoulder and he looked at me and mouthed a what?

Dr. Osborne nodded, adjusting his eyeglasses. Mrs. Emily wailed in a worried dismay, throwing her hands up in mid-air.

"The voices are back? He never told me ab--"

"Actually, there's a possibility it never left. But that's not the only case we have here. Based on his mood changes, there is a high chance that Noah's disorder isn't exactly just schizophrenia. But before I conclude anything, I'll have to do more observations on him," Dr. Osborne cut her off.

Mrs. Emily massaged her temple while shaking her head, slightly turning around with her back facing the psychiatrist.

Voices? What voices?

"He mentioned something about Jerry," Dr. Osborne continued and Mrs. Emily began to sniffle in tears, shaking her head in disbelief. "We all know the story about that..."

Jerry? He was Noah's step dad... If I remember it correctly. He was the reason they left Forks in the first place. But what did he mean by the story behind that? What story?

"...then he mentioned something about a Morris?"

Harris and I abruptly exchanged glances to each other before slightly swiveling ourselves to glance over the sofa's headboard, back to Mrs. Emily and Dr. Osborne's. Both of us where puzzled.

"Morris?" I spat, more of in a did you just say Morris? kind of way.

Dr. Osborne nodded. "Yes. Do you know anyone with that name?"

I looked at Harris again, and he looked back for a quick second.

"Our gy--" before Harris could blurt out anything, I nudged his shoulder again, a bit forcibly. And mentally scolded him to shut up. Unfortunately, he didn't get the message.

"Our gym teacher's last name is Morris," he declared. I heaved and bit the insides of my cheeks.

Dr. Osborne added and wrote something on his clipboard.