Nightmare

We went to sleep a few hours after playing poker. This time Ponyboy won and was bragging about it whilst dancing around the room. I rolled my eyes and told him Johnny let him win, which led to a hilarious argument about how you can't let someone win in poker.

I lay down on the floor with Johnny beside me and I pulled the blanket closer to us. He wrapped his arm around my waist as I lay on my side. I fell asleep soon after, feeling protected by Johnny's warmth.

I was walking down to the lot to meet Johnny, when I heard yelling and a cry from his house. I immediately ran to go see what the commotion was. Johnny sprinted out of the house, tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

"Johnny!" I ran after him. He ran out to the middle of the street and stopped, dropping to his knees. I kneeled down beside him and gave him a warm hug. "Shhh, shhhh. It's gonna be okay." I comforted him. Johnny looked up at me with pleading eyes.

"What am I gonna do?! Th- they're after me. The police are gonna get me and put me in the electric chair! I don't wanna die, not at this age. Please, I'm too young!" We turned our heads when we heard sirens blaring as cop cars came racing down the street.

"Shit! Run run run!" I yelled as I pulled Johnny up from the arm. We ran down to the park and hid in the bushes like we did the day we met. I bit my lip, terrified. I tasted blood but I didn't care. I couldn't let them take Johnny away, not my Johnny. They couldn't.

It was silent for a few minutes, so Johnny got up, me following behind. We stepped out into the darkness and sighed. Suddenly, headlights turned on and we noticed we were surrounded by cops, all pointing their guns at us.

I backed away slowly, not realizing I had backed up right into the arms of a cop. "He didn't mean to!" I yelled as other cops took Johnny and put handcuffs on him. "It was self defence!" The cop who was holding me rolled his eyes. "That's what they all say."

"Please! You gotta let him go! He has so much to live for." I broke down, screaming and crying for Johnny as the cops shoved us into their cars.

Time skip

I stood, handcuffs around my wrists and an electric chair in front of me. Johnny, he was in front of me as well. I watched and cried silently as he sat down, tears streaming down his face. He gave me a weak smile and I shook my head.

"You can't do this! He's too young. He's not a criminal. Please!" I pleaded as they strapped him down. "Aiden, I lo-" Johnny was cut off as he shook with excruciating pain. "No! Stop it! Turn it off!" I sobbed as I struggled from the grasp of the prison guard behind me.

After a few seconds, Johnny's body went limp. There was an odd silence where nobody did anything, then everyone still alive could hear my hysterical sobs echoing through the room. "No! No! No! No!" I repeated over and over again.

The prison guard let go of me and I ran to Johnny, my vision blurred by the tears streaming down my face. Johnny's lips didn't move, but I heard him call my name. "Aiden..."

"Aiden!" I awoke with a sudden jolt. I gasped for air as I sobbed loudly. Johnny wrapped his arms around me and he whispered comforting things in my ear. My tears soaked his shirt but he didn't care about that. He just focused on getting me to breath properly.

"It's gonna be okay... it was just a dream. You're fine." I shut my eyes tightly. I lay back down, fearing I would faint seeing as how dizzy I was. I gave Johnny a powerful kiss, my arms wrapped around his neck, not wanting to let him go.

"I love you Johnny." I cried as I hugged him again. "I love you I love you I love you." I hiccuped and swallowed my tears. He held me in his embrace and rocked me back and forth. "I love you too, baby. It's okay... you're gonna be okay."

"What happened?" Ponyboy asked as he rubbed his eyes. "I- I had a nightmare about Johnny a- and the cops finding him." I turned to Johnny. "They put you in the electric chair. I- I tried to stop them but I couldn't... and you were about to say you loved me but then-" I broke down again.

"Come on, you need to get some sleep. I'll be okay." Johnny reassured me. "Promise?" I asked. He nodded his head. "Promise." He wrapped his arms around me and I fell asleep, my head resting on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

Johnny's POV

Aiden fell asleep in my arms, her head resting on my chest. I kissed her forehead, vowing to never let her go. I whispered softly so that no one could hear me. "I love you, Aiden. I'll protect you at all costs." I fell asleep shortly after, Aiden and I both comforted by the warmth of each other's body heat.