Chapter Eight

Tom POV

Now knowing exactly what Flick had been through over this last year I could completely understand why I had seen her like she was that day in the airport. Why she was so anxious that she bit hit nails right down and chewed her lip. Why she was so sad that a smile never met her eyes. What her fiancé and her friends had done to her was just awful. To push someone away and beat them down so much that they attempt to commit suicide was just barbaric and although I would never wish harm against anyone, I was close to really wishing that bad things would happen to them.

We were back out in the sun as we continued to walk New York's streets. We didn't really have a plan of where we wanted to go we were just walking and talking. We had both been to New York many times before so we knew the sights plus they would probably be crowded and I really didn't want to draw attention to myself especially as I had Flick with me. Not because I was ashamed of her, I would love to show the world exactly who I enjoyed spending my time with but I didn't want to pull Flick into what would probably be a media frenzy if she was seen pictured with me. She really didn't need anything like that.

We were getting close to Central Park when Flick suddenly stopped.

"Is everything okay?" I asked with concern.

"Do you like bagels? Flick asked.

"Yeah I guess so" I replied confused at what Flick was getting at.

"I know just the place to grab lunch then" Flick replied grabbing my hand and pulling me down the next street. I stared down at our interlocked hands as we walked, Flick continuing to lead the way. It felt nice to be connected to Flick in this way and yet it was something that had completely not phased Flick. She led me to a small shop that would be hard to see if you didn't know it was there.

"Casey introduced me to this place on my first visit to the city" Flick said as she led me through the small door.

Inside was just enough room for a small counter and then behind the counter the entire wall was covered in their menu. They did every bagel filling you could ever imagine.

"Hello, How May I help you today?" Asked an elderly man stood behind the counter. He must have at least been in his seventies but yet here he was making bagels.

Amazed by the menu and not knowing what to chose I opted for the smoked salmon bagel whilst Flick chose a chicken and avocado bagel. Once the man had made up our sandwiches I paid for the sandwiches after insisting when Flick tried to pay and we carried our sandwiches outside.

"Should we head into the park to eat these?" I suggested as we left the shop.

"That sounds a great idea" Flick replied with a smile.

We crossed the avenue and made our way into the entrance to Central Park. We found a seat and ate our bagels watching the people passing by.

"I love to people watch." Flick said as we ate. "I always try to guess what is going on with peoples lives as they pass. I usually start to come up with some quite elaborate stories by the end."

"I always find walking or running through a park a great time to think. In London I would take my dog for a walk or run, put my headphones in and just block out the world for half an hour to an hour. I find it is the best way for me to unwind and distress." I replied.

"I can imagine your job can be quite stressful at time What with the media and paparazzi" Flick said as we both finished our bagels.

"It can be but I wouldn't change my career for anything. I am so lucky to be where I am today and I love my job" I replied.