Chapter Six

Flick POV

It had been three days now since Tom had had to fly to London from San Diego and although I wasn't going to admit this to anyone I did miss him. Because of his flights and the time difference we hadn't been able to text each other as much so apart from Jack, Casey and the diner my days had been much quieter.

I got up on the third day of Tom's absence and out of habit checked my phone straight away but of course there were no messages. I knew it would be early afternoon in England now so thought I would send Tom a quick text.

Good morning Tom, how is England. Doing a late shift at the diner today so I know it's going to be a long day. Hope your ok. Flick x

I put my phone back on my bedside table and then got up and made my way through to the bathroom. Because I had the morning to kill before I started my shift at the diner I decided to take a bath rather than a shower, something I wouldn't usually do.

I spent half an hour in the bath until the water began to go cold and then wrapping myself up in my towel made my way back to my bedroom.   As I walked across the landing I heard Jack's voice from downstairs.

"Flick, I have made some breakfast if you would like some."

Jack's breakfasts were always amazing. That was one of the reasons why the diner had become so popular in the first place.

"Yes please, I'll be down in a minute." I shouted back.

Once I had dried myself and changed into my jeans and T-shirt with the diner logo on it, my uniform I tied my wet hair up and made my way downstairs. Jack had prepared pancakes and bacon which he knew was one of my favourites.

"So how are you Flick?" Jack asked as we both began to eat. This was the first time I had had some alone time with Jack since I had arrived in New York and it appeared he was taking advantage of that.

"I'm fine" I replied trying to keep the subject off me.

"Come on Flick you can talk to me. Honestly tell me how your feeling please. I worry about you." Jack continued.

I looked up from my plate of food to Jack who was watching me with sadness. Of course Jack knew everything that had gone on before. He maybe six years older than me but he is also one of my best friends. We were always so close as kids and have remained so as we have grown up. Even the distance when Jack moved to America didn't stop us. We would regularly video chat to each other and then now here I was living with him at my time of need.

"Of course things aren't perfect in my mind but I am better. This move has made me better" I replied looking straight at Jack in the hopes that I looked convincing.

I was better but part of me wondered how different I would be if I hadn't met Tom that day and now exchanged regular texts with him. I hadn't told Jack about the texts as I hadn't wanted to worry him.

"So you still feel like you have done the right thing coming here?" Jack asked.

"Definitely" I replied.

Once we had finished breakfast, I helped Jack with the washing up before we both got ourselves ready for the diner. Jack took a shower whilst I dried my hair and then tied it back up again so that it would be out of the way. Jack's apartment was in Hell's kitchen like the diner so we always only had a short walk to work.

Casey was already at the diner when we arrived as she had been supervising the breakfast shift so whilst she hugged Jack, I grabbed my apron and set to work taking my first order of the day from a table of six Australians who were here visiting the city.