Chapter Seventeen

Flick POV

I was excited. Tom, Zawe and Eddie had decided to go to the US open whilst they had the chance and they had invited me along. I knew tennis was a passion of Tom's from the way he talked about it. His whole face would light up as he spoke about different players. He had told me before that he tried to get to Wimbledon every year if he was in London but it had been years since he had had the chance to go to the US open again. He was so excited to be able to finally get there now that he was in New York. Tennis wasn't my favourite sport but I always liked to watch Wimbledon every year on the TV and I was just looking forward to the day out with Tom.

The weather in New York had been amazing over the last few weeks and Tom and I had loved taking advantage of it. Taking early morning walks through Central Park together to walks along the Hudson. It remained warm today so I decided to dress in a floral tea dress I had owned for a couple of years and my black heels. I tied my hair into a loose plait which hung over one shoulder and applied some soft make up. Tom met me downstairs in Jack's house already dressed in a navy suit. His sunglasses tucked over the top of his shirt.

"You all set?" He asked a bright smile on his face. He was certainly looking forward to today.

"Definitely" I replied.

We caught a taxi to Queens meeting Eddie and Zawe there. The three of them would then have to return to the theatre later for a performance. Tom and I sat in the back of the taxi together holding hands the entire way whilst we allowed to breeze blow onto our faces from the open windows. We didn't talk much throughout the journey but we didn't need to. We were just enjoying the moment and the peace together. Something we didn't get very often.

As we climbed out of the taxi at the Arthur Ashe stadium, I could see the large number of people heading into the stadium. There must have been hundreds of people around me if not thousands and that is when I saw them. The paparazzi. All lurking around the entrance of the stadium waiting for any unexpected celebrities to arrive their cameras hanging around their necks and I froze. I couldn't do this. As much as I loved Tom I was not ready for this. I could just see the headlines now.

Tom Hiddleston pictured with ugly girl.

I could feel tears beginning to form behind my eyes which were covered by my sunglasses as the nasty comments I used to have thrown at me in London came flooding back to me. My breath was becoming laboured and I knew at any minute I was going to have a panic attack. I had to get out of this place now.

"Tom I don't feel well, I think I am going to head home" I said turning around to call another cab.

"I'll come back with you" Tom replied straight away. Luckily he couldn't see the tears I was desperately trying to hold back behind my sunglasses.

"No no you go and enjoy yourself. You have been looking forward to this. I am just going to head home and go to bed anyway" I replied desperate just to get away.

"If your sure" Tom replied although he still looked full of concern.

"I'm certain" I replied trying to give Tom the best smile I could. "Apologise to Zawe and Eddie for me won't you."

Once back in the safe confides of the of the taxi I finally let the tears fall. Tom had given the driver my home address but I didn't want to be home alone right now. I needed to be with my family. I needed to be with Jack.

"Excuse me, can you take me to Jack's diner in Hell's Kitchen instead?" I asked the driver as I wiped my tears away.

"Of course love" the driver replied.

I nervously chewed at my fingers for the entire journey, something that I hadn't done for a while and by the time we arrived at the diner I was just ready to jump out of the taxi and into my brother's arms.