16 - If You Want Love

If you want love, you gon' have to go through the pain
If you want love, you gon' have to learn how to change
If you want trust, you gon' have to give some away
If you want love, if you want love

Allura sat in the exact same coffee shop, where she argued with Keith, waiting for Lance. He called her late at night and made arrangements to meet in the morning. She didn't know what to expect but didn't expect a lot either. It's clear he was still upset over the phone and is rather confused he wanted to talk the following morning.

The door's hanging bell rang as it opened, Allura looked up to see Lance come in with a calm expression. He sat across from her and quickly ordered a coffee.

She clears her throat, "Morning. "

"Morning." He replies and sets his arms to rest and fold over the table top. "Thanks for coming."

Allura thought he wouldn't ever want to talk again. "Lance, what is this about?"

Lance paces himself, staring down at the table before looking around the shop. "I need to ask something."

"Um— l-like?"

Another deep breath— Lance notices he is shaking his leg and quickly stops. "First I want to say I'm still upset about you using me but I'm willing to put this behind us— seeing as we work together and I'm very grateful for you to ask your dad to give me this job and opportunity."

Allura tenses a little, fiddling with the napkin in her hands. "That's fair. . . What did you want to ask me?"

"Right— well, I think a I deserve to know what's really go on with you about Keith. I really did like you, Allura but now I just want to know the truth."

Allura blinks a few times, "I-I guess— well," She tries to calm down her fidgeting.

Lance can see how nervous she feels. "Allura." He reaches over to gently rub his thumb over her hands, which made her twitch. "It's okay. I'm not here to chew you out or get mad anymore."

The look in Lance's eyes are sincere and Allura just wants to cry. She doesn't but she nods her head and takes a deep breath.

Allura starts to explain about her jealousy of Keith's passion and decided to 'get even' by suddenly dating Lotor. Instead of realizing the impact of her actions, she believed she was over Keith once Lotor gave her everything she wanted. Time and attention.

"I ignored Keith when he tried to call and send all those texts. I was very bitter. Even changed schools to get away until fate decided to transfer me to your school."

That last bit sounded sarcastic. Lance thanks the employee for his coffee and takes a sip. "Things looked pretty bad between you two."

"They were. When I saw Keith, all the memories of being together came back and my heart started to get anxious. That was until I realized how mad he was— I decided to try and mend things like the naive girl I am." Allura pokes at her cold coffee.

Lance nods and leans back against his chair. "Then I came in the picture and practically prompted you two to get along."

Allura hears his sigh, staring at him while he scratches the back of his neck. "Mhm. . . The more we hung out together, I started to see a different side of Keith I've never seen before. He was so happy and glowing when he was around you."

Lance looks at Allura. "What do you mean?"

"Keith uh— he was never lively with me when he hung around you."

They did that a lot. Lance admits he was annoyed with Keith in the beginning but there was something about him. Something that made Lance want to pry him away from the antisocial act.