Chapter Forty: Wake Me Up

Cristiano sighed walking into Isabelle’s hospital room, it had been a week since her accident and she still hadn’t woken up; he swallowed wondering if she would ever wake up.

Junior’s birthday had been and gone, Cristiano spending the day trying to focus on his son but it had been hard; he had wanted to be by Isabelle’s side in case she woke up, he wanted to support her in anyway.

“Any news?” Cristiano asked spotting Isabelle’s mother, things had been tense between them since he knew that she was preparing to give up on her daughter while he wanted Isabelle to get strong again.

Gabriella pursed her lips and looked at Cristiano, she had made it clear that Isabelle would be moving in with her and her husband when she was allowed to go home.

“No,” Gabriella said shortly before she walked out of the room, she wasn’t telling Cristiano anything and she wished that the footballer would stop coming to the hospital.

Cristiano watched her leave and closed his eyes, he wished that she would understand that he only wanted what was best for Isabelle.

Cristiano knew as an athlete that Isabelle would want to get back on her feet, she would fight to dance again and he wanted to help her do that; he doubted that her parents would.

Gabriella and Charles were talking about retirement and taking things easy, things that they both knew that Isabelle wasn’t going to want to hear when she woke up.

Cristiano shook his head moving to sit down, he would help Isabelle in any way that he could and he was sure that she would be okay; Isabelle was competitive and that would help her get back on her feet.

“How are you holding up?” Adrianna asked stepping into the room, she smiled seeing how much Cristiano loved her sister and she was happy for Isabelle.

“I’ve been better,” Cristiano said smiling at her, Adrianna was the only one from the family that made sure that he had all the details; Gabriella and Charles shut him out and made it clear that he wasn’t welcome.

Adrianna nodded her head, she moved to sit down wishing that her parents could understand that Cristiano was only looking out for her sister.

“They think she’ll wake soon,” Adrianna said watching Cristiano take Isabelle’s hand, she didn’t know what would happen when Isabelle woke up; she hoped that things would be okay.

Cristiano nodded his head, he stared at Isabelle’s peaceful face knowing that he would support her in any way that he could; she was everything to him and he hoped that she would be okay.

“You love her,” Adrianna said quietly, she doubted that their parents would be able to pull Cristiano from her sister; he made her happy and wanted what was best for her.

Cristiano nodded his head, he was determined to stick around and he would always be here for Isabelle; he wanted her to recover from this to show Irina that she hadn’t destroyed her life.

“More than anything,” Cristiano said pressing a kiss to Isabelle’s hand, he closed his eyes for a moment before he felt something squeeze his hand.

Cristiano opened his brown eyes and stared down at his girlfriend’s hand, he swallowed as he realised that she had done it herself; he truly hoped that she was waking up.

Adrianna swallowed, she looked at her sister hoping that this was it; she was happy to see signs of movement after a week of nothing.

“Cris…” Isabelle whispered making Cristiano and Adrianna stare at her, she was finally waking up and someone would have to tell her the bad news.

***

Gabriella frowned as the doctor slowly explained to Isabelle what had happened to her, she couldn’t believe that her daughter had finally woken up; the sooner that she could take her home the better.

Isabelle listened quietly as it was explained to her that her leg had been shattered and her chances of ever dancing again where next to none; she closed her eyes and took Cristiano’s hand for comfort.

“When can she come home doctor?” Gabriella asked speaking up, she wanted to make it clear that Isabelle would be coming home with her and Charles; she didn’t care what anyone else had to say on the matter.

Isabelle stared at her mother for a moment wondering what on earth she was talking about, she was living with Cristiano and she was sure things would be fine for her to continue.

Cristiano glared at Gabriella, she was pushing her luck and he hoped that she would have calmed down a little when Isabelle had woken up; he didn’t want her making decisions for Isabelle.

“In a couple of days once we are sure everything is okay,” the doctor said nodding at Gabriella, the tension in the air was pulsing and he had a feeling that there was some sort of fight brewing.

Cristiano watched the doctor leave, he was going to be by Isabelle’s side every step of the way; he wanted her to trust herself and be happy.

“I think you should leave Cristiano… we need to discuss things as a family,” Charles said looking at the footballer, he didn’t want any fights and he would do anything to keep the peace.

Cristiano stared at him for a moment before he nodded his head, he wouldn’t go far and would be back once they had left; Isabelle stopped him from standing making everyone stare at her.

“I want him to stay,” Isabelle said glaring at her parents, she didn’t know what was going on but she didn’t like how her parents were treating her boyfriend.

Gabriella and Charles shared a look, they had a feeling that Isabelle wasn’t going to make things easy on them; they wanted to help her adjust to her new situation and having Cristiano around wasn’t going to help her.

“I’m still going to live with Cristiano when I get out of here and in a couple of months I’ll work on physiotherapy to get back on my feet and dance again,” Isabelle said determinedly, she wasn’t about to let anything bring her down.

Cristiano smiled as his girlfriend spoke, he had a feeling that she would fight this; she didn’t have any competitions or tours to worry about for another year and he was sure that she would get there when the time came.

“Isabelle… you heard what the doctor said, your career is over,” Gabriella said speaking slowly in case her daughter had missed what was being said; she smiled sweetly at Isabelle sure that she would understand.

Adrianna rolled her eyes, she knew that this wasn’t going to be easy and it would be a long road for her sister but she was going to support her which was what their parents should do.

“I have to try… what could it hurt?” Isabelle said holding tightly onto Cristiano’s hand, she didn’t know what she would do without dance in her life; she had to try and get back one way or another.

Gabriella opened her mouth to speak, she didn’t want her daughter to get hurt; she knew best and it would be better if Isabelle didn’t go through all of that.

“Whatever you decided to do… I’ll help you in any way that I can,” Cristiano said smiling at Isabelle, this was why he loved her and he was going to help her fight to dance again.

Isabelle smiled back at him and gave him a kiss, she was glad that she had someone like him on her side right now.

Charles and Gabriella frowned, they truly didn’t think that this was going to end well.