twelve

❛my lingering feelings are trying to withstand the end

so please tell me something❜

TWELVE, FAR AWAY

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

'' Baekhyun's dead. ''

'' What? '' I blurted out and stared at Jennie in disbelief, unsure if I heard her correctly or not. 

Jennie raised her shoulders in a careless shrug and twirled a strand of her dark brown hair around her finger. Her face and voice remained indifferent, as if she was just passing the news about the weather, or something else meaningless like that. 

Chanyeol took a step forward, dismissively waved his hands and rolled his eyes. '' We don't know that. Don't listen to her. ''

Jennie shrugged for the second time, before crossing her arms on her chest and looking out the window. At first, I actually thought that she didn't care, but after inspecting her a little more cafeully, I noticed the way that she was nervously biting her lower lip and poking at old scratches that were covering her skin. She was trying to prepare herself from the worst, but she was also completely and utterly terrified of it. '' Chanyeol, I'm just being realistic and you know that. It's useless to hope when we know that he's been taken by King. If he's not dead yet, he probably will be very soon. ''

It was a couple of hours since we arrived to one of the safe apartments that Baekhyun had on different parts of Seoul. Junmyeon was sleeping in the other room, guarded by Chan, who was sitting on a chair next to his bed and refusing to speak to anyone. The boy was still horrified by everything that happened, but also by himself, because for a split second, he actually considered shooting the detective. 

Jennie was leaning against the back of an armchair and the only thing that was keeping her from breaking something was Rosé's hand, gently resting on top of hers. The blonde girl's face was as emotionless and quiet as ever, but the look in her eyes said everything that needed to be said. Chanyeol's endless sighing even more confirmed how bad our current situation really was. Even Sehun, beaten up and sprawled on a couch, was giving a long explanation to his dog about how perhaps he made the worst decision of his life when he decided to join a group like ours. He often complained and said things like that, but in the end he still never actually tried to leave. I couldn't tell what was holding him back - loyalty or the fact that he had nowhere else to go.

Together with Yixing and Hongjoong's group, they were the only ones who returned from that villa in the countryside. Some more people managed to escape and head to Busan, but a good part of others got killed. They didn't want to explain what exactly happened and they only told me something brief about how someone gave out their location and they got attacked, barely a day after I left with Chan, Yuta and Haechan.