Chapter Twenty-One

Diana found the sunshine that greeted her and the others to be unbearably blinding. She practically shrunk away from the bright beams as the vessel doors opened, revealing a flawless beach surrounding dozens of buildings both ancient and new. Perhaps, at one point, Diana would have found the scenery breathtaking. The lively city, the tranquil beach, and the stunning architecture would once have overwhelmed Diana with awe and joy. She'd always wanted to travel through Europe, Italy especially, but now... No matter how deep within herself she delved, Diana could not find an ounce of who she'd been before those countless months of captivity and torture. The memories that threatened to surge forward, sent a shudder running down her spine.

Diana jumped as she felt a hand rest gently on her shoulder. Jacin was standing over her, his brows knit together with worry. "Are you alright?" he asked gently, his strong frame, blocking their friends' view of her.

Diana blinked blankly at him, then casually took a step away from him, his hand falling away from her shoulder. "I'm fine," she said, the small amount of optimism in her voice sounding nothing but forced as she spoke.

She peered up at Jacin, realizing he was still staring at her. "What?" she asked, sounding more defensive than she'd intended.

Jacin's face was grim as he studied her. "You haven't stepped off the vessel," he pointed out, crossing his arms.

Diana frowned, looking around her. Indeed, she still stood within the entrance of the vessel they'd escaped in only hours before, just barely out of the sun's reach.

Diana hugged herself, unable to look at Jacin. "I'm fine, let's just go," she said, brushing past him.

She'd made it all of two steps on the beach before her legs decided they no longer felt like walking. She cursed herself and her weak, useless body, as she collapsed to the sand, barely catching herself before she could faceplant in the sand.

A shadow loomed over her but Diana couldn't bring herself to look at Jacin... at anyone. Her heart began to hammer in her chest and an overwhelming amount of frustration surged through her. She clenched her hands into fists, and squeezed her eyes shut as her head began to buzz. Her heart beat faster until it was all she could hear, drowning out even the, normally, comforting sounds of the waves crashing not far behind her.

Diana gasped for air finding it suddenly difficult to breathe as her heart hammered hard against her chest and her lungs and throat felt as if they were closing. She stayed on her hands and knees, struggling to steady her breaths; but it seemed the harder she tried, the tighter her chest closed. Soon her head was buzzing and tears began to stream down her face as panic set in.

The sun was beating down on her back... too hot, it was too hot, and the light... too bright... she couldn't bear it. The crashing waves mocked her, reminding her of what she was, what she'd endured. It was all too much; her entire life felt like it was crashing down on her all at once, like a massive wave, threatening to drag her away into the cold, dark depths of her tortured mind.

Someone was talking over her, though their voice didn't seem to be directed at her, she didn't care either way. Diana became vaguely aware of feet shuffling away in the sand, the sound horrifically familiar. An image popped into her head, of her lying bound on that goddamn arena floor, a line of Atlanteans shuffling out the side door, none looking back at her with guilt or pity in their eyes for what they'd done. She could still feel the wounds on her back as if they'd all been torn open again; she could feel the blood oozing from those horrible gashes, warming her back, could hear the crack of the whip as each person took their turn inflicting their hatred and blame on her...

Suddenly, warmth bloomed across her back, not unbearable like the sun, but calm... gentle. Diana's jaw was clenched as she struggled for breath; her eyes were squeezed shut but the tears still fell. The warmth gave her pause, just enough for the memories to fade away.

More warmth greeted her, this time in front of her, pressing against her chest, then the side of her face. Slowly, her heartbeat began to steady; that's when she felt it, close to her ear, a steady, calm heartbeat that was not her own.

Diana's chest opened, allowing her to take calm breaths. She focused on that heartbeat, allowing her own breathing to match its slow, steady rhythm. She soon became aware of a strong arm wrapped around her, gently squeezing her, holding her close to that heartbeat, a hand cupping her head, gently petting her head.

When she felt her heartbeat steady, Diana opened her eyes and hesitantly let them wander up the solid chest pressed against her until she was looking into Jacin's breathtaking ocean blue eyes.

Diana pulled away from him, sitting back on her knees and craning her head back until she was staring up at the cloudless blue sky. She closed her eyes and took in a long, deep breath, before lowering her head and opening her eyes once more.

She felt Jacin's gaze boring into her and finally turned to look at him. "I'm... alright," she said, her voice sounding unsteady as if she hadn't spoken in months.

Jacin's gaze wavered and he looked uncertain, but mercifully, did not press. He slowly rose and silently offered his hand, which Diana gratefully took, unsure if she'd be able to keep herself upright on her own.

"C'mon, let's get you inside," Jacin said, his voice uncharacteristically gentle.

Diana allowed herself to take comfort in his strong embrace as they made their way up the beach, towards a large white stone house sitting on a cliffside on the outskirts of the city.

Doubt crawled its way up her spine as they approached the front door, the blue paint seeming too bright and stark against the polished white walls. She knew what had just happened to her. It had happened only once before -after the explosion, after her parents had died. Their death had nearly broken her then, but she'd remained strong for Arielle's sake, had never allowed her vulnerability to reveal itself to anyone, including herself.

This time, it felt different. She couldn't find it in herself to be strong, to keep a brave face for her sister's sake. Diana paused, letting Jacin approach that cobalt door alone. She stared down at her dirt stained feet, hugging herself. Heavy footsteps sounded on the other side of the door, grabbing Diana's attention.

A charming, middle-aged man stood on the threshold, a welcoming smile lighting his face. Jacin dipped his head and muttered something that Diana didn't bother trying to discern. The man looked past Jacin at Diana. She looked up at him, noting the light in his dark eyes, the kind smile he was offering her. Normally, she would have found it in herself to muster up a smile, no matter how glum she was feeling but not this time.

Diana couldn't bring herself to do more than dip her chin in acknowledgement of his kindness. The man's smile faltered and he turned his attention back to Jacin. He stepped aside allowing both Jacin and Diana to enter.

It was then, as she followed Jacin into that house, that she recognized the reality she refused to admit to for so long.

Meison hadn't simply broken her... no, he'd shattered her and Diana wasn't certain she'd ever be able to put all the pieces back together.