Chapter 27 xx

“When is the concert again?” Emilee asks, holding onto the hair straightener like a weapon.

    “Uh… in two weeks. Why?” I ask, uncertain.

    “Be specific.” She snaps.

Woman when they’re pregnant they tend to get snappy, so I’ll just have to be a bit more patient than always.

    “11th of November.”

    “Thank god! I need your help on the 10th of November.” She says, as she straightens my hair.

    “Babysitting Claire?” I quiz.

She looks at me through the mirror.

    “How’d you know?”

    “Well, it’s your four years anniversary with Jack. Of course I know.” I say and ushers the subject away “Anyway… I’ve been thinking about buying a house.”

The movement on my hair deliberately stops.

    “Are you sure? I mean you only have like two months for him to find you. What if he did find you? Won’t the house be a waste?”

I shrug my shoulder, turning my head to the sink, admiring it.

    “There you go. You’re done.” She says.

I stand up from the chair that got brought from the kitchen and turn around to face her.

    “Thank you.” I say before walking out with the chair.

Silently, I put the chair back to where it belongs and I run back upstairs to my computer. Emilee was just experimenting with my hair. I couldn’t refuse, I mean she’s pregnant and all… what if I didn’t decide to leave him for nine years? Would I be pregnant as well?

I slap myself. What the heck, Ames? Why am I thinking about it anyway…? I climb onto my bed with a laptop sitting neatly on my lap. In four days, I’m going to see if I’m meant to be with him or not. Now that I think about it again… maybe we’re not meant to be after all. But hey, he will be coming to Perth, that’s close enough.

Yeah… the closest it’ll ever be…

I walk inside the Carousel with Claire’s hand tightly grasps onto mine.

    “Aunty Ames, can we pwease go to Kmart?”

She can’t speak properly. Not yet. She’s only four years old.

    “Sure, what do you wanna buy?” I ask and kneel down, so that our eyes levels.

    “Piwwowpet!” she shrieks excitedly at her attempt of saying pillowpet.

I wrinkle my nose and pinch her cheeks lightly before we make our way towards Kmart.

    “Ooh!” she shrieks, admiring every single pink item that appears in her sight “Aunty, let’s go there!”

I look at the Smiggles shop and smile at Claire.

    “What happen to buying you a pillowpet?” I ask, before swinging our arms.

    “Oh yeah… after buying piwwowpet, pwomise?” she says, holding out her pinkie finger.

    “Promise.” I say before intertwining our pinkies together “now, let’s go to Kmart.”

I tuck strands of dark golden hair that belongs to Claire. We enter Kmart whilst Claire is babbling about her decision. Whether to buy cow pillowpet of sheep pillowpet. But I don’t think it’ll matter when she sees the butterfly pillowpet. Meh.