magnolia •one

OK, SO NYSSA TALKING IN HER OWN POINT OF VIEW IS IN italic, PRETTY MUCH TELLING HER STORY, BUT IF IT'S NOT IN italic THEN IT'LL BE IN THIRD PERSON LIKE I ALWAYS DO.

...

NYSSA

(Three years and seven months on the Isle of the Lost)

Mother always told me being a mother was a challenge from Life. To nurture them, make sure they are health. But how can mother know? She didn't actually spend much of her time with us until we were of age. When mother was married to her first husband, she had a nurse watch over my sisters and I. I couldn't do that now, now that we were on the island there were no maids or anyone to take her of my son. And I didn't want another woman to take care of him anyways, he was my son and I am his mother.

I named him Inizio, meaning 'beginning', because he was my beginning. I introduced him to my mother and sisters and it went better than I thought. Mother did make comments about how he will always be an outside unlike the rest of her grandchildren, but it didn't bother me. Inizio is mine and I am his.

A few months pass by and I got the hang of being a mother. I memorized the times to feed and nap schedules. Inizio was a calm baby, hardly cries and when he does it was simple to calm him down. I've wondered if I would be a good mother, but I knew that one day I would have to tell him the truth. That day would be a difficult day and it was turn out alright in the end, or it can be my worst nightmare.

I push those thought away and try to picture a life I could give him. It might be possible that he could be my only child and I am prepared to give him the world. The first thing to start was more diapers, I was running out.

I took Inizio with me since I didn't really trust anyone else to watch over him. He was in a baby carrier I made from one of my long fabrics. He was well hidden inside and asleep.

 He was well hidden inside and asleep

I arrived to the market for more food and baby things, what I didn't expect to see was the God of the Underworld at the stand where I get baby diapers. I can clearly see Hades taking a few and shoving them in his leather, spiked up jacket. He took as many as he could and I could see that he was about to leave none, so I had to confront him before I get no diapers for Inizio.

"What does a grown man like yourself wanting baby diapers for?" Nyssa teases. Hades turns around and hides the diaper behind his back.

"None of your busy!" He growls. "Why do you care? What do you need diapers for?" Nyssa leans in a little enough for Hades to see a sleeping baby. He looks back at Nyssa and looks away. "Right! Well—I have to go."

Hades walks pass her, but Nyssa turns around.

"You still haven't answered my question." She says loud enough to stop him from walking. Hades had his eyes looking down and didn't turn around to answer her. He only turned his head slightly

"It's the same reason you have." Hades says before walking away until he couldn't be seen by anyone. Nyssa didn't look away until Hades was gone from sight. Only them did she turn back to finish her shopping, but her mind only ran back to Hades.

That was the first conversation I had with him and I knew it wouldn't be the last.

.