magnolia •fifteen

...

NYSSA

As quickly as Nyssa could manage, she secured all the children, but her Hadie, away in the nursery. She needed to get her youngest baby out of the house before Maleficent wakes up from her sleep (or induced coma with how much of that vile of sleeping potion she added into the wine). Maleficent was drunk when she took a good look at Hadie, but if she saw him again while sober, no one was coming out of this alive. Nyssa feared for her child's life and need to get him out.

Maybe she could call Kovu and have him take Hadie for a while? No, Kovu's dealing with his own problems right now.

Maybe her mother? Definitely not, NO.

Drisella? She can't even handle her own crying children.

Anastasia? Definitely the nicest of my sisters. May-

Suddenly Nyssa's front door opens and is quickly shut. Her heart nearly stopped at the idea that it was one of Maleficent's servants coming to check on their mistress.

"You would not believe how hard it was to get pass those goblins outside. I've been trying to get in for the last half-hour. Why are they even out there in the first..." Hades says with his hands on his hips. He tossed his scarf on the table, had not yet noticed his ex passed out on the couch, despite the horns sticking out. Nyssa let out a sound of relief when she saw it was only Hades.

He was about to sit down when Nyssa grabbed his arm and pulled his away before he could attempt wake the sleeping dragon. Hades looked at his... lady-friend... in confusion and looks around. He finally got a good look at who was on the couch, eyes near popping out of their sockets with how wide they were open.

"Is that Maleficent?" Hades asks in a hush voice, not wanting to wake her. He was unsure if his eyes were playing tricks on him. There his ex-wife laid passed out, horns poking out, drool coming out and staining her robes.

"Yes, it is. Now, please take Hadie and go away before she wakes up." Nyssa picked up Hadie from his bassinet and handed him over to his father. Hades looks at his son, who was looking back at him with a happy look before turning to Nyssa.

"B-but I just got here." Hades whines quietly not to awake his crazy ex.

"Hades!"

"Why is she here? Did you knock her out? Is she drunk?" Hades asks.

"Yes." Nyssa walks to the door and opens a crack of it to peer outside. She made sure no one was there to see Hades leave. The goblins that accompanied Maleficent were still there, but looked ready to sleep. She shuts the door and walks over to the bottle of wine, prepared to use it.

"Wait—which question are you answering?" Hades asks, but was only grabbed by the arm and dragged to the kitchen away from sleeping Maleficent. Nyssa took out to broken cup out of her cabinet and dumped the remaining wine in both.

"She's just sleeping—" Nyssa assures.

"Looks more like a coma."

"Hush, you. I put her a sleeping sedative in the wine, so it's nothing harmful."

"Really, I was kind hoping it would be." Hades jokes.

"Hades!"

"What? It's true. That woman's a menace."

"She's mother to your child." Nyssa grabbed the cups and head back to the door.

"Well so are you." Hades shakes Hadie lightly at Nysa. The baby boy giggled at the action and kicked his feet out as a sign for more.

"That doesn't mean you have to wish harm on her. I can tell you, childbirth is a painful process."

"You know what else is painful, having your own child be separated from you and never allowed to see them again. That is exactly what she did to me, so don't ask me to be respectful to her just 'cause she endured a few hours of something she's never gonna go through again." Hades hisses. A glare was then fixed onto Maleficent.

Hades was tempted to get rid of Maleficent in that moment. Perhaps throw her in the sea and have his brother's waves crush her into some sharp rock. It was a dark thought, but a tempting one. Then he could take his little Mal and watch her grow up like he wishes. But of course, nothing ever goes his way and everyone would notice malicious Maleficent suddenly gone.

A negative voice said in his head,

But what do you know about raising a child? You barely even see the one currently in your arms and he's not being kept away.

Hades frowns deeply as another voice plays in his head...

Practice makes perfect, no? No one just understands
how to be a father. No one gets it right the first time.
And Nyssa would help, she's already a perfect mother.

Ohh yes, why not just Mal in someone else's care and show up every few months to see how it's all going. Don't bother.

Hades snapped out of his thoughts when a warm hand pressed against his cheek. He looked at Nyssa as he felt her thumb wipe something away. He didn't even realize a tear had slipped out until it was too late. Hades looked at the baby in his arms to see him looking up and cooing.

"Everything is gonna work out in the end. Just have patience." Nyssa says before slipping outside. A few minutes pass by before she returns and motions for Hades to follow.

Walking outside into the cold night, Hades saw the ugly minions of Maleficent completely knocking with cups in hand. They snore loud enough to scare Hadie, who made a scrunched up face as if he was about to start crying. Hades caught it in time and rocked Hadie in his arms, trying to soothe the boy.

"So, like, where did you get that sleeping drug?" Hades asks quietly. He nudged one of the goblins, who didn't even move a muscle.

"It's not a drug... I think. Yzma is my neighbor, she pays me in random potions for watching over her kids." Nyssa explains. "Now go!"

And he did. Hades took his son and slipped away into the night.