A Welcome Home Cake (2)

The bakery is filled with tension as the two mages greet each other. (Y/n) looks up at Sting, who has a cocky smirk on his face, and resists the urge to roll her eyes. She isn't in the mood to deal with his arrogance.

He is the first to break the silence with a nasally snicker, "What brings you here, (Y/n)-chan? You throwing another pity party for your loser guild?"

(Y/n) feels half compelled to give him a snarky answer, but she holds herself back. She cannot get riled up again, especially when there's a chance that her brother and the others will be at home to greet her for the first time in seven agonizingly long years. (Y/n) runs a hand through her hair and turns her head to look away from the blonde.

Sting's brow quirks in surprise; he wasn't expecting to be ignored by her. Even when the two first met, she has always been able to challenge his banter with her own taunting.

He tries once more for a response, "I see I've got you speechless. I do have that effect on women." He winks. Sting has always been somewhat of a flirt.

He notices an eye-roll from her and perhaps a small quick of the corner of her mouth, but she remains silent. The rapping tapping of her foot becomes evident to Sting. He has seen this type of behavior from her before, during the previous Grand Magic Games.

Sting recalls the event from two years ago. He remembers standing, celebrating at the top of the podium with his guild, Sabertooth. His eyes found (Y/n) in the crowd with her guild. Her eyes were glassy as she bit her lip, and like now, she tapped her foot briskly against the floor.

Sting figures that she is upset and, suddenly, he feels an urge to know why. But why? They're rivals; he doesn't need to see her happy, but, strangely, he so desperately wants to see her smile.

He turns to the baker, "Yeah, so, as I was saying. One strawberry cake and write, 'Welcome to the guild,' on it." He glances back at (Y/n) before continuing his order, "And add whatever's she's getting to my tab. Thanks."

The baker smiles at Sting for the gesture. Heeding his customer's request, he asks (Y/n) what she's ordering.

(Y/n) is hesitant to accept his offer. What is his motive? Is he joking?

She looks up at Sting once again for any sign of mockery written on his face. She, instead, finds him nodding softly to confirm his genuineness. (Y/n) takes a small step forward and orders Erza's favorite strawberry cake. The baker nods in acknowledgment before leaving the two to prepare the sweets. 

There is long silence once again. This time, (Y/n) is the one to break it.

"Thanks," she whispers, almost inaudibly.

"What?" He cups his ear teasingly. "You're gonna have to speak louder if you're going to be that short."

(Y/n) rolls her eyes again before grabbing his shoulders as leverage as she stands on her toes to meet his height.

"I said- Thank you!" She jokingly yells in his face. They laugh. Sting can't help but notice her smile and then his own. His hands subconsciously meet her waist to protect her from falling. Their faces are inches apart, and their laughter dies down.

Staring into his eyes, (Y/n) can't help but notice how handsome Sting is. With his blue eyes like the ocean and his hair golden like hay- hm, not quite; his hair seems far softer. She suddenly wants to run her hands through his hair.

Good God, what does she think she's doing? She can't possibly have feelings for this asshole! But he is damn attractive.

(Y/n) lowers herself away from Sting and feels her face burning with embarrassment. They turn away from each other, sheepish expressions written on both of their faces.