11

These days Victor often used my car, taking me to work with him and then skimping off with it until it was time to go home, whatever his tasks were for the day. I was surprised when he didn't take me to the Sirens, following him through Falcone's house and bringing me to see Sofia. "Lucian, good to see you," she greeted with a small smile, kissing my cheeks when she was close. "I've got something for you to do, Victor tells me you've been bored hanging around the Sirens all day."

I my eyes flicked back to him for a moment before back to Sofia, offering a shrug. "What can I do for you?"

"I need you to go to the Narrows and speak to the Doc for me, tell her I'd like to have a meeting immediately. You can find her in a place called Cherry's."

"Got it, I'll be back lickety split." She smiled and sent me off, walking back through the house and turning my head when I noticed Victor had followed. "You coming with me?"

"No, me going there implies hostile intent," he dismissed. "Not too keen on learning just how strong that Solomon Grundy guy is." I took a deep breath as Victor pulled me to stop and stood before me, slowly sliding his hands over my sides as he leaned down to speak in my ear. "Be careful," he whispered. I could feel him twitch as I put my hands on his chest, fighting the urge to pull away from me.

"I will," I breathed, leaning my head against his. I could feel his thumb drag over my ribs as his other hand slipped a clip onto my jeans, a cold metal against my leg.

"You should know how to use a knife," he chuckled, dragging his lips against my cheek as he pulled away. "Don't be stupid, doc." I narrowed my eyes at him as he chuckled, stepping away from me as the humor drained from his features. "Get gone."

"I need the keys," I pointed out. When I reached for the ring he brought out, he took hold of my hand, pressing his lips to the heel of my palm. I gave him a small smile and ran my thumb down his cheek, leaving the house and going back to the island.

[]

Despite my absence and what it had meant for them, the people of the Narrows recognized me from my visits. Victor demanded I stopped going to help people as soon as I started to show, before the virus even really had a hold on me. Just as before, I kept to myself and the people just stared, leaving me to myself despite everything.

It wasn't hard to find Cherry's, it literally had a neon sign pointing 'HERE', another of a pair of cherries. It was a nice touch. I walked down the stairs, aware this was more of a headquarters than a club these days but surprised at the lack of people. I didn't recognize him on my way down, but as I got could pick out certain details of familarity on an otherwise altered person.

"Butch?" I mumbled, eyes widening. "How'd you get your hand back?" He didn't react as I took his hand, studying his grey and almost green skin. "There's not even a scar... What happened to you?"

"Nobody knows for sure." I surprised myself with the speed of my reaction, flipping my knife and holding it to the thigh of a man in a green suit.

"Hello, Nygma," I breathed. "Careful, one wrong move and I could nick your femoral artery." He chuckled nervously and looked over my shoulder, as if asking for help but recieving none.

"Nice to finally meet you, Dr. Cane. No need to be drastic." I narrowed my eyes but clipped my knife onto my jeans.

"What did you do to him?"

"Nothing, I swear. We're friends." I rolled my eyes, believing that more than I believed Victor had finally gotten through some boundries with me.

"I need to talk to your boss," I sighed, not having the patience to deal with the dwindled version of a complusive maniac. He nodded to the bar, where a woman finished the contents of her flask and began to refill it. It must be a thing to move to the Narrows and get a new look, because when she turned my way, I was faced with Mario's widow. "Lee," I greeted with a cautious smile.

"Do I know you?" she asked, turning further towards me.

"Not personally. Carmine invited me to your wedding. You looked beautiful. I'm sorry about what happened, doctor to doctor." She had a small smile as she reached over the bar and grabbed a glass, pouring me a shot and clicking her flask against my glass. I set my glass down and turned to her before she could question me. "After Mario indirectly infected me with the virus, I lost the part of myself that wanted to do good. I'm thankful you stepped up where I didn't."

"Thanks. What do you mean, Mario infected you?" I waved it off and shook my head.

"He had already died by the time I got infected, but he gave me a vial of the virus on your wedding day. After the funeral I spilled some getting rid of it. Shit happens."

"What are you doing here, if you don't mind me asking." I gave her a smile and leaned against the bar, my eyes drifting back to Butch.

"My boss, your sister-in-law, wanted to have a chat, sent me to fetch you," I explained, my thoughts drifting to just how much had changed since the Tetch virus came through the city.

"Do you know why?" I shook my head and gave a short chuckle.

"If she's smart like her father, she won't tell me anything more than she needs to. So far, she has been." I stood and nodded to the door. "Come on, I'll drive you." She considered it for half a second but ultimately complied, assuring Nygma that she didn't need protection on her way out.