16

I looked out the window and frowned. From twenty stories up, it was difficult to attain clear details of the ants of people on the street below, but there was a pale head that bobbed through the blackness of the street that caught my attention. What really didn't help was the person leaned against the building they'd been closest to, watching our building from just across the street as they blended into their suroundings.

It was only when a bit of sun got reflected into my eyes that I realized who it was, trying to keep myself from grinning as I slowly made my way through the empty club. I knew I wouldn't be able to get anywhere without an assassin on my tail, so I tried to be as patient as I could as I sat in the elevator. Once I'd reached the ground floor, I opened one of the heavily tinted glass doors inwards, standing behind it in silent invitation.

The smile broke free as Zsasz stalked across the street, tucking away one of his pistols as he entered the building. As soon as he cleared the door I couldn't help myself, wrapping my arms around his middle as the doors closed and pressing my forehead between his shoulderblades. "Luce," he half greeted, half warned. I took a deep breath but let him go all the same, standing in front of him sheepishly.

"If you saw what I do from up here," I breathed, relaxing a bit when he put a gloved hand on my cheek.

"I know, there's no keeping you from worrying." I shrugged and stood a bit straighter when his hand fell back to his side. He normally didn't come here during the day, he'd ran out of information to feed Barb. "People out there are dying faster than I can kill them, and that's saying something," he informed, staring over my shoulder a moment before meeting my eyes. "Gordon's pushed the Green Zone far enough that my house is clear, pretty soon I won't be able to hold the terrirory I got to the East."

"What does that mean?" I sighed, shifting on my feet. Losing ground wasn't good these days, by any means, not when the government left all the psychos - this one included - to run the city.

"It means I'll be closer," he informed, his expression coming to a point. "You don't have to sit in this tower all day anymore is what it means." He looked over my shoulder again, I could only assume one of the assassins was catching his attention. He didn't like unwelcomed eyes.

"I meant logically. Like, are you pulling out because your lacking in something?" I elaborated, brows raised in exasperation. His answer was just a hand on my belly and I nodded. He was lacking in me.

"Also wasted a bunch of bullets before all this went down so there wasn't much for the stock pile. I don't need them, I know plenty of ways to put someone down, but they do make things a helluva lot easier." A smile tugged at my lips at the humor in his voice. "My point is, once I get the place set up, I want you to be there." The smile grew a fraction and I laid my hand over his, at least until he pulled it away a short moment later.

"Then what are you wasting time here for?" I chuckled. "I'll be right here when you get back." He checked over my shoulder once again for a long moment, debating with himself as he took a step closer and collected my face in both hands. I tried to kiss him back, I think I might've smiled a bit more than I did kiss, but he pulled away with a curl to his lips all the same.

"I'll be back for you as soon as I can," he promised, staying close a second longer before slinking back out of the building. I watched him go with a soft sigh, catching the way he drew his pistol to the ready before he'd even cleared the door.

[]

I spoke to Barbara quietly as she stood at the bar, her face tight with irritation. She knew of the extra passenger running around this place now, and after reasoning with her I was able to get Zsasz through for the night. I wouldn't tell her he was the father but there was something about the way she watched me that said she knew. I looked up as the people of the club quieted, meeting the eyes of one James Gordon for a second time in this place. "Heads up," I warned with a small, appreciative smile before making my way upstairs.

I barely shut the door before my personal space got invaded, smiling as my face was dotted with chapped lips and clear desperation. "I missed you, too," I chuckled, reaching up to hold his face still before bringing Victor's lips to mine. Despite what he said the last time I'd seen him, it took about two weeks for him to get things in order and move out of the territory he'd claimed.

"You're taking care of yourself, right?" he breathed, keeping his forehead pressed to mine.

"Of course," I hummed, soaking up the attention. I hadn't had him to myself like this since the city fell. "Since we won't know what we're having until that day gets here, we have to get more serious about names than last time."

Zsasz nodded, but all the same mumbled, "Later." I didn't mind that Barb allowed me the space they had kept me in when I was infected, it was so bad at the tail end of it all I don't remember a lot of what happened. All the same, I'd even rather be at the cherry farm than roosted in the Sirens.

Sitting down on the bed, Victor pulled me to sit in his lap and buried his face within my red waves, running an ungloved hand over my stomach as he held me. I jumped a bit when Barb's voice floated up from downstairs, clearing out the club judging by the silence that followed. "That doesn't sound good," he hummed, not moving at all from his spot.

"You should probably wait until Gordon's gone to make your exit," I advised. "Barb's a loose cannon when he comes around."

"She's a loose cannon in general." I scoffed but didn't share his laughter, curling further into him. "Give me another week to secure the area and we'll get you outta here," he mumbled next to my ear, kissing my cheek as he finished the sentence.

"No rush," I informed. "For now, I'll take what I can get."