Chapter 20: My Favorite Song (Nathaniel's Ending)

"....Nathaniel."

This was my decision. I knew right then and there that the one I truly wanted to be with.......was Nathaniel.

"WHAT?! HIM?! You chose GOLDEN BOY over ME?!"

"Yes! He's sweet, kind, and he doesn't try to control me, unlike you!"

I looked at Lysander.

"And he isn't sick and twisted like YOU!"

"Slim..."

"Darling, please..."

"And that's another thing! When's the last time EITHER of you called me by my real name?!"

They both fell silent. It seemed they didn't know how to respond to that. Not that I could blame them; I couldn't even remember it myself.

"That's what I thought. Look, you wanted me to make a decision, and I made one. I mean it; I wanna be with Nathaniel."

A few seconds later, I felt someone's arms wrap around me.

"Julia...I'm so happy to hear you say that..."

He moved one of his hands to the back of my head, pulling me closer.

"I love you."

"I love you too...I'm sorry I couldn't say it before, but...I love you, Nathaniel."

Slowly, he let go and stared into my eyes. Then, holding my face with his hand, he leaned in closer and closer, until his lips finally met mine. He was so soft and warm...it seemed like forever since he loved me like this...

*I guess I never realized how much I missed him...*

After another moment, Nathaniel broke the kiss.

"Um...it's getting late. I'll walk you home..."

"Yeah..."

Nathaniel took my hand and led me in the direction of my apartment. I looked back once more to see Castiel and Lysander standing there, staring at me.

Castiel's eyes were begging me not to go, and Lysander just looked so...sad and disappointed.

I understood how they felt; I loved them too and it was sad for me to leave them behind...but I knew all along that I would have to break some hearts tonight...I couldn't have all three of them...

*Goodbye...I'm sorry...I never meant to hurt you, but...goodbye...*

Many years later...

"Mommy, I'm hungry! Is dinner ready yet?"

I turned to look at the little boy standing behind me.

"Yes, sweetie. It should be done soon~"

"Okay!"

Ever since the night of my decision, Nathaniel and I were always together. We never broke up. Not even once.

It was still painful to see Castiel and Lysander at school, but once they had realized I was never coming back to them...they eventually...faded away. And over time, any memory I ever had of them faded away as well...and now I could barely even remember what they looked like.

A few years after that, Nathaniel and I graduated high school, and a few more years after that, college too. Not long after we graduated college, Nathaniel finally decided to marry me. And then, a few more years after that, we had a son. We both decided to name him Christian; it seemed like a suitable name for a son of Nathaniel.

Now, it was almost Christian's 6th birthday; it was hard to believe he was growing up so fast.

"Oh, dinner's done~"

I scooped some stew into a bowl and handed it to Christian.

"There you go."

"Thanks...hey mommy, when's daddy gonna be home?"

I looked at the clock: 5:30 p.m.

"He should be home soon; why?"

Christian just smiled.

"Because I'm gonna be six tomorrow! I wanted to tell him that I'M the man of the house now!"

I cracked up at that.

"Oh really?" I said in-between laughs, trying to catch my breath.

"Yeah! That's why he needs to get home now!"

Suddenly, I heard a sound. The front door opened and in walked Nathaniel with a big smile on his face.

"Honey, I've got great news..."

I stepped out of the kitchen and greeted my husband with a hug.

"Really? What is it?"

"I got a promotion!"

"Oh, that's great~!" I said cheerfully and gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

Then our son decided to come out of the kitchen...

"Daddy! Daddy!"

"Hey buddy!"

Nathaniel crouched down and hugged our son.

"Daddy, guess what?"

"What?"

"I'm gonna be six tomorrow~!"

"Oh, that's right, it's someone's birthday tomorrow, isn't it?"

I smirked at Christian.

"Christian, tell Daddy what you told me..."

It was then that Christian remembered (short-term memory; got that from me. XD).

"Oh yeah! I wanted to tell you, I'M the man of the house now!"

Nathaniel just started laughing and I did too.

"Is that so?"

"Yeah! And don't forget it!"

Christian ran all the way back to his room.

Nathaniel and I were still laughing.

"Isn't that just the funniest thing you ever heard?"

Nathaniel was laughing too hard to reply. I took that as a "yes".

Later that night, when we were just about to go to sleep, I thought of something...

"Hey, Nathaniel?"

"Yes?"

"...Do you remember when we met?"

"Of course I do; I could never forget."

He kissed me on the side of my head.

"Now go to sleep. Tomorrow's going to be an...interesting day."

We both chuckled at that.

"Okay..."

The room was silent again, but that doesn't mean my head was (it never is, is it? :/).

I started thinking back to that year in Sweet Amoris High School. I thought about all the good times and the bad...I thought about my love life back then and how it'd gotten to be so chaotic...and I thought about the song Nathaniel and the others had played for me on that night...I loved that song, no, the entire year; all the memories, even to this day...and I knew...those days had truly been...

......My Favorite Song.