Chapter 7: Learning

Fei Ren's POV

"FEI, NATSUME, BREAKFAST IS READY!" Mmm. It smells like waffles. How did Aite know I love waffles? I don't know, but he deserves a kiss.

"Aite! I love you!" Natsume yells, smelling it too.

"I love you more, Aite!" I yell. We are secretly competing for who gets the last waffle. We both know Aite won't take it, so it's war. It's been about 1 year now, maybe with some 3 months in too. Everyone's more comfortable with me now. I've made friends with Naruto and hung out with Ino, Sakura, and the other girls from the group. I like to hang out with Naruto more though. He reminds me of Marie, with his hyper attitude so I'm more comfortable with him; plus the group of girls rather hang around Sasuke Uchiha than play or goof off, which is a letdown but that's okay. When he's not there, we play around and play card games.

"Aite," I ran down the kitchen to see him preparing the table, "If I help you prepare the table, will you acknowledge how much I love you?" I ask with puppy eyes

"No, he won't, because I'm already doing that!" Natsume grabs the dishes and sets them up

"No, you cheater! You didn't ask!" I ran towards him and tried to ruin the order he was putting them in. Aite groans a bit before looking up.

"Well, no matter who's the most 'helpful' here today, Fei's gonna get the last waffle." We stop and I start to cheer while Natsume continues to put the plates down, defeated.

"Wait, why doesn't it matter?" I ask.

"Good question, today's your first day in the academy." With that, Natsume chokes on the oxygen in the air, spectacular skill.

"What?! Already!" Natsume spits out

"Yes, it's been literally a year now. I believe she can go off on her own, learn things about this village. Don't you think so?" He looks up from the boiling water, waiting for Natsume's response.

"I mean...yeah...but I just. I don't know. She doesn't really know how to be a ninja. She has never been surrounded by ninja," He looked at me.

"Well isn't that what the academy is for? To learn how to be one..." Aite lifted the pot and poured it. I thought about it. Could I learn how to be a ninja? I took swimming for 2 years in middle school then switched to volleyball in high school, but I wasn't any MVP type of girl. Maybe I can't-

"Plus, she's a smart girl as far as I can tell. A little bit of a loose cannon but I believe she will do fine." Aite said

"Awww! That's sweet, Aite!" I flush and cover my face. Natsume smiles and asks, "Do you wanna go then?" I look up and nod.

"Yes. I want to go now! What do I need?"

"Whoa! Whoa! Don't get so excited it's not even time to go yet."

~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh boy. It's bigger than I thought..." I gaze nervously at the building. People are gathered around their children, waiting for them to enter and wish them good luck. Will I know anyone here? Guess not. I tug at Natsume and then look around at Aite, "you think I'll know anyone here?"

"Oh yeah. I'm sure you will. Kids of the same age as you. I'm sure you'll see the friends you hang out with here."

"Alright, if you say so." I let go of Natsume's hand and walked forward. I look back at them and wave.

It's my first day in this academy. I'll try to treat it like it's the first day of school. Except, this place teaches you...different things. I see a bunch of people gather around, entering different classrooms. I don't know where to go. I look at the board myself, slightly shoving.