Chapter 9~ The Lying Game

I sat in my room the rest of the night, curled up in a blanket, reading Harry Potter and drinking Apple Juice. I isolated myself because I would cry, unintentionally every so often, and I didn’t want everyone to know I was so upset.

My mom was right. I was extremely jealous of Caroline. But I didn’t want to admit it. Even to myself.

My phone constantly was going off, all of them from Harry, and occasionally, maybe one from Cassie or Cher. But I did read through all the texts from Harry, some even making me cry.

Peyton, please. I just can’t do this. Not without you.

I made a mistake. I’m so sorry. Please, please forgive me.

Caroline means nothing to me compared to you. Please. I don’t want our friendship to end because of this. Not because of her.

Give me five minutes to talk. It’ll be worth your time.

The one that struck me hardest was the last one he sent to me.

I’d give this all up for you. Please, just let me have another chance. Or a chance to talk.

I wasn’t sure of I should talk to him. I didn’t want him to know I was upset- or jealous. That’d just give him more power. More power that he didn’t need over me.

I covered my face with my hands, tears pouring out. I didn’t want our friendship to end like this either.

My thumb lingered over the call button, as I looked at Harry’s contact information. I was temtepd to call him, but I knew I couldn’t. He wasn’t going to get away that easily.

But I wanted to talk to him so badly.

Hear his voice.

I shook the thought out of my head, trying just to forget about him- move on.

My door flew open, Colton, walking in reluctantly. I smiled slightly, patting the bed next to me. He smiled, running in, jumping on the bed.

“You’re home already?” he asked.

“Yeah. I missed you guys.” I said, wrapping my arm around his small body.

“But didn’t you want to be with Harry?”

I forced a smile on my face. “Yeah, but it was time for me to come home.”

He hugged me. “When you were hanging out with Cassie one day, Harry came over and we talked about you. I told him you and him should get married one day, and he agreed, but he said he thought you were too good for him. He said he wanted someone better for you.”

I bit my lip, tears slowly flowing out. “Thanks for telling me that.”

“It’s ok, Peyton. You love him too.”

I get off of my bed and walk into my bathroom, my hands wiping my face.

He deserves better than me.

“Peyton? Are you okay?” Colton asked, following me into the bathroom.

“I’m fine.” I say, shooing him out of my room.

I put my hair up, and put some make-up on, and change into some sweats and a t-shirt. I decide I look acceptable, and I run out to my car.

I wanted to go find Harry.

I couldn’t do it.

I was miserable without him. He was more than my best friend, and I couldn’t loose him over this. Not over Caroline.