Seventeen: See You Again

Onika

I rushed to my car in the school lot and drove in the direction of Sammy school. I was late getting her from school today again because of detention with Ms. Knowles. Mom will be pissed this was my third time that I did not get Sammy from school on time. I feel really bad because my mom depends on me to help with my sister because our dad is not present in our lives and she has to raise us alone. He decided to leave my mom when I was 8 years old and started a family of his own with another woman. However, my mother found she was pregnant with Sammy and he did not care.  There were many days I witnessed her cry and drink to numb the pain away. She was so happy with my father and I would love to see that happy woman again. Ever since she been with my abusive stepdad it has not been the same. He tears her down mentally and beats her ass every chance he gets. It hurts to see my mother go through so much pain because of a man and grandma passing away does not make it easier.

I pulled up to the car pool line and seen Sammy run towards the car. 

Sam: Hey Onika

I turned around and smiled at her as she climbed into the car and buckled her seatbelt.

Onika: Hey Sam Bam did you have a good day at school today

Sam: Yes I painted a picture of us and mom 

I looked at the picture from the rear view mirror as she held it up with a smile. I chuckled as I observed our heads.

Onika: I hope you know our heads are not that big

She looked at the picture for a second and back at me.

Sam: okay me and mommy heads are not that big but you do have a big head sissy 

I burst into laughter and pulled into the drive way next to my mother car. Sammy was something else. She definitely inherited the personality and attitude of my mom because she always told you the truth. I would not trade her for the world though she was perfect in my eyes. I opened her door and she unbuckled the seatbelt on her car seat.

Hopping out of the car we walked into the front door to hear loud screaming and glass breaking

Hopping out of the car we walked into the front door to hear loud screaming and glass breaking. My mother and stepdad were fighting in her room. Sammy was on the verge of tears I took her coat off and placed it on the coat rack. I carried her upstairs to my room to calm her down I hate that she had to witness this. She cried until she fell asleep and I went to her room to lay her down for a nap. I decided to hop in the shower and play some music to drown out the noise around me.

I walked out of  the bathroom feeling refreshed and ready for sleep. Today was a long day and I just wanted to sleep. As I was pulling my covers back and climbed into my bed. A notification popped up on my phone.

Bey: I miss you sexy

Onika: I miss you too but about to head to sleep

Bey: this early?