Apologies and Awkward Dinner

On Sunday we were suppose to meet up at Ty's to watch the Saints and Steelers play. Even though I love the Saints and I always attend when we get together, especially to watch football, I decided to stay in the basement, in my hammock that I set up the other day.

I put the game on and slowly chew on an apple, Jake laying beside me. I turned my phone off after I got a few calls and tons of texts from the guys asking where the hell I was. Only two names didn't pop up on my screen, BJ and Noah.

It's halftime when there is a knock on the basement door. Jake passed out at the beginning of the second quarter, Trent is at a friends house, and Mikey is wherever he runs off to. Dad is out fishing and mom is out on a girls day with my aunts. So who the hell is it?!

They knock again and when I stay quiet, the door creaks open and somebody starts thumping down the stairs.

"Um, hey."

"Shh." I say, gesturing to the sleeping kid beside me. He nods. "What do you want Noah?" I ask quietly.

"I want to apologize for storming out yesterday. And for, ya know, all the flirting." His cheeks are bright red now. "I know you don't date teammates and it was stupid of me to think you would change that."

"Did you send Jerod to tell me off?" I have to know if he sent him.

"What?" He looks clueless. So I don't say anything else. I notice both of his hands are behind his back, hiding something.

"Whatcha hiding behind your back?" I question, biting on my bottom lip. He chuckles quietly.

"Well BJ informed me that your family would be gone today and that you would most likely end up watching Jake, so I thought I could bring you both something and hope you accepted my apology so I could join you?"

He pulls three Braums cups from behind his back. He hands me one and when I see what's inside I smile. "How'd ya know?"

He chuckles. "I remember things."

Jake stirs and smiles at Noah. "Boa!"

"Noah," Noah says, slightly rolling his eyes, and biting his lip to hide his smile. He hands him a cup and Jake takes a sip and his eyes light up.

Before either of us can ask again, he smirks. "I have good memory." He shrugs.

"Thank you Boa!" Noah just ruffles Jake's hair up, and doesn't try to correct him.

"Thank you Noah. Your apology has been accepted. Would you like to say and watch the game?" I ask.

"I would love to." He drags one of the bean bags over and sits it in front of the hammock.

We all suck on our shakes and I cheer loudly when Saints win. Noah has never been a Saints fan, and his favorite team is the Denver Broncos. The Broncos play the Saints in about three weeks and we plan to get together and watch that.

When Jake asks if he can come too, I shake my head because I know the trash talk that will take place will not even be PG-13.

When Noah stands up to leave, I blurt the question out without processing it. "How about you stay for dinner? I'm about to start making it and you can help me and Jake, if you want."

He hesitates, but when Jake turns the puppy-dog eyes on him, he melts like butter. He sighs, then smiles at Jake. "I'll call my mom and tell her I'll be home late."

"Yay!" Jake exclaims, making us both laugh.

I take Jake into the kitchen and he gets me the pots and pans from the lower cabinets and I get the food and stuff from the higher cabinets.