Moving Day and Bad News

I wipe a stray tear as we unpack the last box from the car and bring it up to my room. Being an athlete, I have to live on campus, so I found an apartment on campus. I'll be working two jobs to help pay rent, but my parents said they would help if I ever got too far behind.

Mom insists on helping make my bed and setting up everything else and who am I to deny her? And the fact that I don't want to do it all alone helps me tell her she can help.

We get it all done within an hour. I hug my parents tightly and sigh as they drive off. I've already registered and class doesn't start until Monday--it's Saturday.

My roommate shows up at the an hour later. Her name is Bethany and she's from Malibu, California. She has long blonde hair and tanned skinned with bright blue eyes. She's very beautiful, but can't understand a damn thing I say.

We're both wanting to get into med school. She wants to be a dentist while I want to be a pediatrician. We share a lot of classes so at least I know somebody besides the football team here.

We talk some and I start feel better and a little of the stress starts to fade away.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scratch that, it's back! I came in for my physical, that's required for me to start practicing, and what the doctor is telling me is not good, at all.

"I'm sorry but I'm redshirting you,"

"Why? What's wrong?" I made sure I stayed healthy over the summer, not eating too much junk food and exercising daily. Is it something I couldn't prevent? What if it's serious, like something fatal?!

I can't die yet, I'm only eighteen!

But what they tell me is worse. I'm not dying, but I still can't play. This could ruin my whole football career!

How am I going to handle this?!