Chapter 9: Second Guessing

It's been the longest week ever but Friday is finally here and I couldn't be more excited. Only a few more hours until Genma would come to pick me up for the sports day festival. I finally got out of bed, ate breakfast, got a shower, through on my clothes (https://pin.it/wfawnzwz76nuo3) and put on my favorite pair of boots since it was a little chilly out today. I made my way to the living room and grabbed which ever book that was on top of the coffee table and started to read to pass the time until I was interrupted.

"Oh, Ali!" Grandma walked into the living room with a cup of coffee in hand. "You look cuter than usual, are you excited or nervous about your date?" I gave her look of annoyance. "You're not helping." Easily hearing the nervousness in my voice. "You have no reason to be nervous, it's Genma he's sweet, caring, very attractive... well maybe you should be a little nervous." "Grandma!" Marcy now smirking. "Well if your that nervous maybe I'll go instead." I felt my face heat up and my eyes widen a little too. "N-NO I want to go, I just."

What was it, why was I all of the sudden hesitating? Was it that I didn't want to get too attached to him since I knew I was going to be leaving soon? Was it that now I was realizing how much of an age difference they were, did he want someone closer to his age? Or was it the fact that I wasn't a ninja and he knew a lot of female ninja's who would be perfect for him. So which one was bothering me the most or was it all them. I myself couldn't figure it out but what I did know or thought I knew was he was only doing this to be a good friend but why would someone like him want someone like me? I'm just ordinary.

Seeing her granddaughter on the verge of tears, Marcy had an idea of what I was thinking about and knew she had to do something before I let my emotion get the best of me and cancel the date that could very well be life changing. "You know..." I was broken from my negative thoughts. "He really likes you, more than you think." I looked up. "But how?" I said almost as a whisper.

*Ding dong* Grandma got up to answer the door. She place her hand on the door knob but before she turned around the brass knob that would reveal Genma on the other side she looked back at me looking me right in the eyes, answering my question. "How do I know? Well it's like he said out of ever shinobi in the village , he is the one closes to me, so to answer your question, I'm around him more than enough to see that he has feelings for you." Without giving me a chance to respond Grandma finally opens the door.

It was now 11:30 am. The three of them sat in the living room drinking their usual teas and coffee. "One more time, what is your plan today?" Grandma asked for the fourth time. She says it's her memory but I'm convinced she just likes to hear Genma talk. Genma exhaled before telling Grandma the plan once again. "We are leaving here at 12:45pm, we will snacks before heading to our seats. At 1:00pm they'll start their speech, 1:30 pm the games will start and they should end around 4:30 – 5:00ish." Grandma nodded in approval.

The senbon moved to left side of Genma's mouth as his lips formed a smirk. "Then I'll be taking Ali to dinner." My head snapped up he totally just added that. "Eh, I guess it's a good thing I asked you to repeat yourself so many times, I missed that last sentence." Grandma said grinning while raising an eyebrow. "U-Umm. Maybe we should get ready to go." I said making no eye contact. "Yeah we probably should." Genma agreed standing up. I collected all of the mugs to take back to the kitchen, then made my way back into the living room. "Ok you two have fun. Oh, and Genma." Before Grandma could finish Genma had cut her off. "No need to worry your baby girl will be safe." He paused walking towards me wrapping an arm around my waist. "She'll be with me." After that we made our way to the front door. "Ladies first." Genma said while motioning for me to go outside as he opened the door. "Ah T-Thank you." I said as I felt that familure burn and rosy color return to my cheeks.