A Façade

Caine had just urged you to stay at Robin's a little longer to ask a few questions.

You politely smiled, not realizing how tightly you were gripping the door handle to the exit "I actually need to get some work done on my farm before sundown, so I can't right now. You're not a cop or something, are you?"

"Uhh," Caine huffed "one could say?"

"Well that's not a yes, now is it?" you started becoming a little more arrogant infront of him, and crossed your arms "I don't even think you should be going around the valley interrogating people without the proper authority".

Caine grimaced at you.

"You said you were conducting an investigation," Robin blinked "If you are an officer, then may I see your badge?"

Caine said nothing, but leaned on the counter and sighed "Listen, I may not work for the government, but I do work as an investigator of the sorts".

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave, sir," Robin furrowed her brow at Caine.

Straight faced, Caine tsked, before reluctantly heading to the door. You kindly held the door open for him, sending him off with a snide smile. You let the door shut and made eye contact with Sebastian. Despite the minute victory, you felt in your gut your troubles with Caine had only just begun.

"I'm sorry you two," Robin brought a hand to her face and exhaled exasperatedly "He said he was working on a murder investigation, and asked to talk to my son, so-"

"It's no worries, Robin," you stepped forward "whatever that guy really wanted, he should now be aware that we are on to him".

"Yeah, don't be so hard on yourself, Mom," Sebastian added.

"But a murder, and he was lead here?" Robin shook her head "I suppose that sounds too ridiculous to be true either".

"... Yeah," you bit you lip "Who really knows? Maybe it's a real case and he is just a wannabe cop? Who's to say?"

"Well, I better tell Mayor Lewis about him," Robin picked up the landline phone on her desk and started dialing "He'll be better at alerting the valley about that creep better then I would be".

"Good idea," Sebastian agreed.

---

Leaving Robin's house that early afternoon, wearing your sunhat and shades for protection from the harsh  sunlight, you felt as if you were being watched as you made your way back to the farm. You had a hunch you knew who it was, so you made sure not to let him see that you noticed him so quickly.

You supposed he got impatient, because he suddenly made himself well known to you despite his initial sneakiness.

"Miss," Caine approached from behind, waving a hand at you "could I just ask you something before I go?"

"I said that I don't have time for your shady antics, Sir," you faked being startled and gave an aggravated response.

"Please, it's not about that," he begged "I just need directions".

You gave a brief sigh, lowering your shoulders and giving him your attention "Ugh, fine. What is it?"

"Hm," Caine approached "I just would like to know-"

You raised an eyebrow at his awkward pause.

"Say, I'm sorry," Caine gave a small chuckle "could you take off your hat and glasses? I can't see your face and it's odd speaking with you because of it".