23. Slipping up

TH

All the happiest moments have to come to an end too. The love went nowhere. We took our second chance seriously. It was just a slip up, just a mistake, an error in the system. Something that would quickly be forgiven and forgotten. And then everything would be alright once again. Life and love would go on. Maybe it was a wrong timing. Fate hadn't let us go. Were we always bound to end up in ruins?

***

JK

You were angry with me. It was rare for you to be mad at me for over five minutes but it had been going on for the whole day. At night when you finally lied down next to me I tried to give you cuddles because there's nothing you love more than cuddling. But you rejected it. The Kim Taehyung aka Taetae just rejected cuddles! The world must be coming to an end. Or I just messed up real bad. Or maybe both in our case.

"Taeeee", I whined.

"What did I doooo?"

No answer. You just turned your back on me.

"You know I can't make it up to you if you don't tell me what it is", I tried to reason.

"There's no point if you don't figure it out by yourself", you muttered.

And that's how I was left staring at the stars in the ceiling, going through everything I said and did before you started acting like this. I didn't know whether I was stupid for not getting it or if you just got mad for nothing.

***

TH

It's so stupid. It didn't matter at all. It wasn't one specific thing that made me angry. It was just that you worked more hours and had less time for me. I was getting fed up with it. It felt like you didn't care even though I knew in the back of my mind that you were working more because you wanted to earn more money for us. For our future. I was so immature I want to punch myself. It all didn't even end there. Oh god how I wish I would have just let you cuddle me. Wish I didn't fall asleep before you did. Wish I woke up before you did.

***

JK

I didn't sleep a lot. I kept thinking how I had failed and didn't even know what it was about. I just had to apologize and admit I couldn't figure it out. For that I needed something to bribe you with. I thought it was the perfect time to finally buy those flowers for you. 

Moving as quiet as possible so you wouldn't wake up, I got dressed and left the house. It was colder than I expected, the winter had just begun. I wondered if the flowers would even survive the way back to our home. I hoped so. But they never did. Just like us.

***

TH

I woke up to my phone ringing. The bed was colder than usual. I realized it was because your side was empty. It was Sunday and you always slept late on Sundays. I sulked at the thought of you possibly accepting work for the day that was supposed to be ours. I almost forgot to answer the phone.

"It's so early Nam-"

"Are you both okay?!" Namjoon shouted and I almost dropped my phone.

"Good morning to you too. What do you mean?" I was still sleepy.

"Your ex got out of jail! It wasn't supposed to go like this, I don't know what-"

"WHAT?!" I couldn't believe my ears, I didn't want to believe it.

"I don't understand either, I just had to check if you two were alright."

You two.

"Thanks hyung, I have to call Jungkook now, he isn't home", I hurriedly cut the call and called you immediately.

Pick up, pick up, pick up... And the beeping stopped as the line was open.

"Kook! You need to come back home now!"

And that's when the Earth stopped turning. Everything was as motionless as the stars we painted on the ceiling. For the voice that answered wasn't yours.

"Sorry but he can't. Why don't you come get him yourself?"

***

A/N: two more chapters (+epilogue) to go! How are you feeling?