Chapter 5

Third pov

Ray kept her mask of indifference as Brian and Dom came. She only payed proper attention as Campos spoke.

"You all know why you're here. Good drivers are a dime a dozen. Man, every corner's got a chingadera racing for pinks."

It kind of annoyed Ray that he continued playing golf while talking.

"That's not what Braga has got me looking for. Braga wants someone that would sell their abuelita to be behind the wheel." Finally he turned to them. "Someone that drives their 10-second cars not in a straight line, but to push it and make it through places no one else would take it. Real drivers."

"So what are we hauling?" Dom asked, arms crossed.

"For the money Braga's paying you don't need to know."

"You just said you wanted real drivers. A real driver knows exactly what's in his car."

Campos was very clearly not happy with being questioned.

The guy, Fenix if Ray could recall correctly, stood up. "Mira, real driver, nobody's forcing you to race."

"You the boss? Or am i talking to the boss?"

Fenix looked on the verge of having a veing pop. "Do i look like a boss?"

As they continued talking the woman that had led her up there came over to Ray. "Here, you will need this, but you can remain seated."

Ray looked at her in confusion as she gave the same things to the others.

When they left she looked at Campos. "If I'm not here to race then why am i here?"

He smirked. "Braga has already seen you race many times, and he wants you on the team no matter what."

"He's seen me race?" Ray gave him a disbelieving look as he nodded.

"He has, and he's impressed." He turned to look at the start while Ray felt that something was up.

Time skip

Ray had refused to be given a ride to the finish line. She took her own car instead.

She wasn't surprised to see Dom pull up first. She did feel bad for Brian as he drove off.

The woman came up again. "Here, thumb print." Ray pressed her thumb to the scanner. "When the GPS calls you follow. You work for Braga now." Ray couldn't decide if the look she got was of pity or not.

She gave Dom another small smile as she got into her car and drove off, the night's tension making her exhausted.

Time skip

"What did they say?" Brian stood in the doorway.

"They said Braga has seen me race. That he wants me on the team no matter what." Ray sighed and rolled onto her bed without bothering to undress.

"I'm going to get a place in there. In the meantime, about Dom, please be careful." When she didn't say anything he continued. "You broke after we had to leave them, i can't take my baby sister breaking more."

She looked at Brian. "I'll be fine Bri. Go get some sleep."

Time skip

"To all the ladies we've loved and all the ladies we've lost." Ray heard the end of the toast as she reached Brian, Campos and Dom.

She sat beside Brian and took the beer campos opened for her. "So what's Braga about?"

"You know, he's just one of us. Came up from the streets. Down for el barrio. Now he's a shot caller. Boss of bosses. See all these cats in here?" He gestured to the room. "Anyone of them would die for Braga."

"Including you?" Brian asked.

"Especially me." A guy came up an whispered something to him.

"Enjoy the party fellas, and lady." He added. "Whatever you want, booze, broads, it's all good." He left.

Ray felt fierce burning jealousy as some hookers sat practically on Dom's lap. She didn't even hear what her brother said before he stood up and left.

She stood up as well. "You'll have to excuse me." She didn't miss the look Dom threw her but she pretended that she did.

She knew that they needed to pretend they didn't know each other but it didn't exactly make things easier.

She drove until she was a few blocks away from the Toretto house.

Jumping the fence and knocking on the backdoor was easy. Mia's look of surprise was actually quite funny.

"Ray?"

"I just wondered if we could talk?"

Time skip

Mia gave Ray another cup of tea, noting the bags beginning to show under her eyes. "You need some sleep. It's been a stressful day."

Ray shook her head. "I'll get some sleep later. I need to talk to Brian about everything." She drank the last of the tea.

"Thanks for listening to me. It means a lot."

Mia smiled. "It's no problem. And Ray.."

Ray stopped in the backdoor. "Yeah?"

"Dom does love you."

Ray nodded slowly before going outside to make her way home.

829 words, I'm on a roll today

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)