Chapter 17: You have to believe me.

I step out from behind a parked car with my hands raised.

"Peter, I have to tell you something." I said calmly.

"Bailey?" Asked Peter surprised.

"What the hell? Who's that?" Asked the buyer angrily. Both of the men reach for their waistbands, where I could see the grips of guns.

"Whoa, Whoa! Don't even think about pulling those!" Peter barked.

"We agreed no guns!" Said Sydney.

"Yeah, and we agreed no surprises either." The other buyer reminded.

As the buyer draws his gun, Peter charges him! He twists the guy's arm, wrenching the pistol from his hand.

"Peter, no!" Said Hans. Peter turns and aims the other buyer, who was about to draw his.

"I said don't think about it. Go on. Toss it." Said Peter ignoring Hans commands.

"Wrong move, pal." Said the buyer angrily. He sneers but, complies, tossing his gun away.

Peter disassembles the gun he's holding, wipes his prints off the pieces and drops them.

"So much for that payday." Said Sydney sarcastically.

"Bailey, What the hell are you doing here?" Asked me Peter, and he couldn't even decide if he was angry or happy about my presentation.

"You all need to get out of here. Now."

"We can still do the deal." Said Hans angrily.

"No! Forget your stupid deal! The cops are coming! We need to run!" I Shouted hoping that they will hear me out.

"Cops? What's the meaning of that, Hans?" Asked the buyer angrily.

"How could you possibly know about that Bailey?" Asked Sydney.

"Please, you have to believe me."

"Give us one good reason to believe you." Said Peter, trying not to lose his temper.

"I know because my dad is a cop. He is a detective and he is investigating on you!" I shouted and tears had filled my eyes.

"You're... the daughter of a cop?" Asked Sydney surprised.

Peter takes a step back, his face pained. He and Hans share a tense look.

"It's a setup! Let's get out of here!" Shouted the buyer. Both of the buyers climb up to their black van. They speed off, nearly hitting me as they go. I jump back, bracing against the prototype's hood.

"Let's go." Said Hans.

"Hans we had a cop's kid hanging out in our garage!" Said Sydney surprised.

"I know. We'll deal with her later. We have to go!" Shouted Hans.

"What about the car?" Asked Peter.

"We can't leave it behind it's too conspicuous." Said Hans.

"Six figures down the drain." Informed Sydney.

"Forget the money. The car's covered with my prints! One day, they'll lead'em right to our doorstep." Said Peter angrily.

"Hell Bailey is touching it right now!" Observed Sydney. Crap!

I look down to where my palms are pressed against the hood from having jumped out of the way of the buyers.

"We gotta get it outta of here or we're screwed." Said Peter.

"I know right? But do you think you can really think you can get it out of here with the cops closing in? There's only one way in and out." Said Hans.

"You really think I can't?" Asked Peter and in his handsome face was drawn a cunning smile.

"Peter we'll escape in the car together." I don't know why I said it but I couldn't stand the thought of Peter being locked up in jail.

"Geez, Peter. Your friend here is as crazy as I am." Said Sydney and smiled.

"Keys." Hans tosses Peter the prototype's keys.

"Sydney, Hans take the emergency exit. We'll lose the cops and meet you back at the garage." Commanded Peter and everyone nodded understanding.

I and Peter hop in the car. He backs out of the parking spot lighting-fast. Peter flies up the ramps to the first level of the parking structure, the car catching air over speed bumps.

"We're almost out." He informed me.

"We've got company." I said. Right as I approach the ramp to the surface streets, three cop cars zoom down to block our path. Through the windshield I see my dad behind the wheel of the lead car.

As Peter swerves, I pull that lever on my seat and drop flat on my back, out of sight.

"What the—?" Peter asked.

"That's him."

"That's your dad?"

"Peter, you cant let him get hurt!" I begged.

"I'll try."

I could hear my dad shouting: "Get after them!" I hope we can escape. I don't know how I will manage to look at him in the eyes again.