Chapter 38: Light Clashes

As Ventus and Vanitas fused, light and darkness swarmed around them. Then, they formed together. Inside of their heart they appeared. They stood on a massive stained glass circle. At first it was just Ven, alone in his heart, but now the darkness that was torn from him has returned, and now he can reform, into one. There was nothing but darkness surrounding the glowing platform. Ventus stood to his feet. He looked over and saw Vanitas was there. He stood up and they stared at each other for a moment.

"Vanitas, you're finally here, back to where you belong... It's been so long. How is it?" Ven spoke.

He looked down to see his image in the colored glass. "It's how I remember, bright, and warm... But, it doesn't feel right."

Then he was knocked down, darkness started to emit from him. Half of the stained glass became enveloped in dark flames.

"Vanitas, what's wrong?" Ven stepped forward.

Light began to emit from Ventus, and the other half of the glass.

Vanitas held up his hand. "No, stay there. I can't handle the light. It, burns."

"What are you saying? You came from my heart, you can go back. You deserve to go back. This has to work!" Ventus clenched his fists.

"Don't you know by now, haven't you seen? From the very beginning, light and darkness cannot mix. It's impossible and it always will be. That's why there is balance in every world... But no matter what, every single time, light will always wash over the dark." Vanitas looked up at him.

Ven came closer, now in the middle of the platform. "No, we have to find a way, we have to make this work. Light and darkness can blend... You have to fight it, fight back the light. Or, I will take in the darkness... We have to work together, we have to become one, to control the X-Blade."

Vanitas held his hand over his heart. "It won't work... All I have is darkness in my heart. It would kill me if I even tried to change... You wouldn't be you anymore, and I wouldn't be me. And besides that, you're the better one. You have others that would care if you were gone... But, it wont be today, but maybe one day when we can see good and evil come together."

Light started to shine down from above, the dark flames grew smaller, Vanitas's darkness began to vanish.

Ventus stayed where he stood in the center. "I care about you. You shouldn't have to suffer anymore, I don't want to see that's what your life only consists of... Only knowing loss and pain. There is so much more in life that I wish for you to see. You can experience happiness, and knowing that others care for you... If you can't join me, then, you should be your own person."

"I remember when I was first created. You didn't even know I existed for years. And when we first met, you Didn't even know who I was. Though I was a part of you. I felt so much hatred when I saw you with your friends, when, I had nothing... But, I'm going to stay with you. Even if that means it will destroy me. " Vanitas smiled.

Ven rushed over and embraced him. Vanitas was shocked.

"You're just gonna have to hold on if we're gonna wield this X-blade... Then, hurry up and get out of my heart before it kills you." Ven joked.

"Then I will forever be your shadow." Vanitas replied.

"But, when this is all over, would I even be able to find you?" Ven questioned.

Vanitas chuckled. "Maybe."

"Then, let's go." Ven declared.

They both started to glow with light, then they became orbs of light that quickly rose up, into the shining light. The darkness dispersed from their heart. Then, the two orbs became one as they rushed back to the fight.