•10•

"Commander Hoon?" I asked, trying to make sense of what was happening.

"Hush now. We don't want the whole palace to know...." he said, looking around cautiously.

I gave him his mask and he placed it on his face, hiding his identity.

"Tell me this is a joke." I said, shaking my head.

"I wish we could, but it's too late now." I flinched as I heard a voice behind me.

I turned around to see the marshal approach us. The mouth dropped open as I begged all this to be a dream in my head.

"You two have tons to explain." I said, narrowing my eyes as I pointed my finger towards the two men.

"Certainly, right this way princess." The king/commander said, leading us to the cottage we first met.

••••

A

fter hours of explaining and answering my questions, the two men were able to tell me about everything.

"So, you are commander Hoon by day, and the king by night?" I asked, summarising the whole story.

"Well actually, yes. I basically live two lives." The king said smiling.

"What if you had to choose one?" I asked out of curiosity.

"The throne is mine, so I will choose to be king. If that happens.... then we plan to fake the death of commander Hoon." He replied casually.

My head was spinning with all this confusing and complicated information.

"It sure sounds bizarre, but trust us princess. We've been doing this for the past 20 years." I looked up as I heard the marshal's voice.

"This is really confusing....." I said sighing.

The king chuckled at my remark.

"Ogum, take her to her chambers. I'm sure there's a lot to process." He ordered.

"I hope to see you around, princess." He said as I stood up.

I looked back at his masked face, which didn't scare me anyomre. I smiled and nodded.

"Me too, your majesty." I said.

••••

The marshal and I walked down the hall, no words exchanged. I could tell that the marshal had something which troubled him, but I decided not to bug him.

"Thank you for escorting me back.... again. I'm sorry for the troubles I've caused." I said awkwardly.

The marshal smiled, but did not reply. I wanted to ask him about what's on his mind, but I let it slip away.

"Have a good night, marshal." I said as I slid the chamber door open.

"Have a good night, princess Ran." He greeted back dryly, before stuffing his hand into his pocket.

My eyes followed his hand as I spotted his love letter still tucked in his pocket safely.

I stepped in and closed the door behind me as I wondered why I went to the gardens in the first place. I kept on thinking when I suddenly remembered.

"The anonymous letter!" I told to myself as I wondered where I kept it.

Hang on..... I received it on the day I slept in the marshal's room after the incident. That means...... he has my letter! I thought as the wheels turned in my head.