Take 7

AVA

Hi, I'm Ava, Rod's Mom. I heard you yelling.

JIN

Oh yeah, about that ... Hi, I'm Jin and this is my friend Sean.

AVA

(shakes their hands)

I'm really glad you brought Kitsune.

JIN

Her name's Zara.

AVA

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought ... it's because Rod always calls her Kitsune, because of her Japanese ancestry.

JIN

Does he now?

AVA

Please, come on in, have a drink and sit down.

They follow her into the house. Kids are in the garden. They meet five other Moms of the other kids. They greet. They swoon over the handsome guys.

MOM 1

Oh my, did you two come with the only girl Rod invited?

JIN

What d'you mean, the ONLY girl? 

AVA

Relax, you can trust my boy. She'll be okay.

JIN

That's what they all tell their fathers.

MOM 2

So, who's your gorgeous friend?

JIN

He's our friend visiting from Canada. I had to bring him along as well. We're actually in the middle of work.

MOM 3

What do you guys do?

JIN

Music.

Moms swoon.

MOM 4

Married?

JIN

(holds out hand with ring. Sean does the same.)

MOM 1

To each other?

AVA

GIRLS! Stop it. Don't be so nosey!

Moms let out disappointed collected sign. They get up to mingle with their kids.

MOM 1 (grumbles)

Lucky sweet girl having TWO gorgeous fathers.

JIN

So, Ava, we don't have much time, so you need to tell me now. What's going on with your son and MY daughter?

SEAN

Dude, relax. He was just holding her.

JIN

We'll talk about that when YOUR daughter gets held by a tall dark handsome boy age 13. Her legs wrapped around him, mind you.

Let the adults talk here, Sean.

SEAN

(holds up hands)

AVA

I know you're surprised. I was surprised, too, when Rod came home talking about his Kitsune girl.

JIN

HIS?

AVA

You need a drink?

JIN

YES, please. But no alcohol. I need to drive.

SEAN

Ey, man, you need to calm down.

JIN

Are you seriously hitting me with Taylor Swift now?

AVA

I know that song! ALEXA, play Tayler Swift!

(pours him and Sean drinks. You need to calm down by Taylor Swift starts playing in the background)

Anyway, Rod isn't an easy kid. We had some ... difficulties with his biological Dad, that's why it's just the two of us. Couple of weeks ago after he transferred school, he told me about Zara.

They connected and since then he kept on talking about her singing for him and that she's the sweetest girl he ever met. He even started learning Japanese on his own and asked me if it was okay if he'd invite her to his birthday. I was curious, so I said yes.

JIN

Jesus Christ. What happened? How did they meet?

AVA

He didn't tell me the details, just that he's going to keep her safe. I know he's 13, but he really cares about her and I'm so grateful for her being his friends. It helps him to deal with things 

he's going through.

JIN

Gee, thanks. Exactly what I need to hear to calm me down.

AVA

Are you saying, Zara doesn't have any issues at school?

JIN

What do you mean by that?

AVA

Well, there must be a reason, why Rod wants to PROTECT her.

JIN

Yeah. I'll ask her. ZARA, honey, we need to get going in 20 minutes! Sean and I need to work and he needs to catch his flight!

Zara runs up to Sean.

ZARA

(hopeful)

Sean, I promised to sing two song for Rod's birthday. Will you help me, please? I want it to be perfect. 

---

A/N: 

Thank you for reading! If you can imagine this screenplay as movie, please share and vote!