Warmer Months

JUGHEAD POV
June

It was now June. The temperatures went up and it somehow has become depressing. I mean, we're all alive. We have new people coming here. And, there's a new drug trial coming. But because of the drug trial, it means I had a meeting with the head doctors.

I sat in the office with a hazmat suit on. The doctors sat across from me and had gloves on. They also had Lysol disinfectant spray and hand sanitizer to them. As if I couldn't feel any crappier about myself than I already do.

"To be honest, we don't know how it will go. The problem is that the drug trial could potentially end the contagiousness. However, it could include some risks." Doctor Mendes said.

"I know. The last drug trial caused me a heart attack." I sassed.

"You're at a high risk for another heart attack if we do this drug. But we're not sure. It's basically a 60/40 chance of you having a heart attack. But it could work." Doctor Willis nodded.

"But I had open-heart surgery like 2-weeks ago. Not to mention, I'm still in pain. You're basically putting me on death row. I say no-" I yelled. But they cut me off.

"You're 17-years old, Jughead. You're not an adult until October. Which means, we will have to make contact with your parents. But as far as we know, you don't want to do the drug trial?" Doctor Mendes said and was taking notes.

"No, I don't want to. It's way to risky for me. I have so much to live for."

"Alright, we just have a few questions. What's your relationship with Annie Taylors like?" Doctor Mendes asked.

"Why are you bringing her up?"

"Because we've been told that you two have romantic relations. We just want to know how close you two have actually gotten."

"Probably 4-feet apart. But that's with gloves and a mask on. I don't understand what the big deal is." I crossed my arms.

"The big deal is that her heart is at a 30% function. She's dying faster than you are. Her life expectancy at least 7 more months to live. Just be really careful. For your sake and for her's. Also, we need to ask questions about a former lover, Betty Cooper?" Doctor Shepherd questioned. I sat up and felt my heart race.

"W-why? Is she ok? Is she hurt?" I shouted.

"She's fine. Is it true you had romantic relations with her? Then abandoned her after you had a heart attack."

"Abandon? No, it wasn't like that at all. I love Betty. I always will. But before you ask...we haven't gotten that close. At least 1-foot apart. You guys just gave me the worlds biggest scare."

"You love Betty and you like Annie-"

"Why are you guys asking me so many questions about my private life?" I asked. They all exchanged looks and then back at me.

"Jughead, we're starting to believe that...you're using Annie as a distraction. To forget about Betty and love someone more like you. Someone who's sick." Doctor Shepard shrugged. He seriously didn't just say that. I'm just like everyone else.

"Am I done now?" I asked. They nodded and I got up. I put my bag over my shoulder and walked out of the room. Annie only has almost 7-months to live. She needs a new heart pronto. What bothers the most is that...I can't help her. Also, Betty and I broke up. We've moved on from each other. So how dare they bring her up. Because at the end of day...I would never be able to choose between Annie or Betty.