seven

"eomma, are we leaving?" dohyon asked as i packed our clothes.

i didn't answer, instead, i took my phone and dialed a contact.

"eomma, where are we going?" dohyon kept tugging my shirt so i faced him. something pricked my chest again as i saw his swollen eyes.

"i will tell you once we get there." i assured him then came back on preparing our necessities.

"eomma..." hyeongjun's faint voice called. i turned to look at him, who is standing by the door with a sad face.

"why are we leaving again?" he asked with his soft voice.

honestly, i want to defend them from heejun but i know he plays dirty and i'm sure... i am definitely certain that he will take them with his own ways.

i opened my mouth to utter an answer when a voice answered my phone call.

"gaea! it's been months! how are you?"

i looked at the kids before answering him, "we're fine. but i think i'm gonna need your help again."

"why? what's the matter? did hyeongjun---"

"no, not that. but can we come to your place right now? i'll explain when we get there."

"no problem. take care on your way, okay?"

"we will. thank you..."

"you better tell me exactly what happened, gaea."

"eung. sorry for bothering you again."

"that's not a problem. you've been suffering so much. and how are the kids?"

i shrugged as i sniffed, "shocked. just as i expected."

"sounds something worse than an unpaid loan. right, i'll call you later."

"thank you so much, Ong. thank you so much." my voice quivered when i thanked him. probably made the reason clear to him.

we're not fine at all.

"eomma..." hyeongjun called seeming to beg me not to go. but i ignored him and kept focused on packing.

as i was done, i took their coats and wrapped them with it but dongpyo seemed to not answer my calls.

"dongpyo-yah! where are you?" i called as i checked if he's in the kitchen...

or in the bathroom...

or outside.

but i didn't hear anything from him.

"hyeongjun-ah, where's your brother?" i turned and saw hyeongjun crying and restlessly playing his fingers.

"mollasseoyo... he said he doesn't want to leave so he'll stay here." he said between sobs.

"stay here!" i frantically ran outside the gate to look for dongpyo.

my mind started to ramble thoughts which only lead to blaming myself.

it was my fault.

i let that guy have a more valid reason than me.

why would i lie to these children if i really want to protect them?

am i really imprisoning them out of love?

tears started to fall down again as i searched through darkness and lights, on the streets and backyards, and every possible place he could've been. but he's still missing.

i gripped my head as i worried for dongpyo. i called numerous times but he doesn't answer.

our streets were quiet and only few people pass by. what if something bad happened to him?

no... no. i should look further.

i brushed off my thoughts and looked for my son again. "dongpyo-yah!"

just as i was about to rush down the stairs, i heard his small voice.

"eomma!" my head immediately turned to him.

he was standing there. under the lamp post with a bright smile on his face.

my angel.

"dongpyo..." i murmured and rushed to hug him.

"eomma, mianhae." he apologized.

it's as if we've been apart for a long time. so i just embraced him between my arms. i can never lose any of them. that's what i thought.

"don't be sorry, sweetie. it's no one's fault." i caressed his head gently as i calmed myself.

"you are the best eomma and i'm thankful i have you. whether our family is complete or not."

oh god. i'm beyond happy for having hyokyung eonni as my sister and her kids as my own.

"why did you suddenly run away?" i said as i weeped a little.

"i just thought i don't want to leave here, eomma. i don't want to hide from bad guys again." dongpyo pouted as he looked away, his hands were on my shoulder.

"no, no. we're not running away. i promise i won't let anyone scare you again." i cupped his cheeks and wiped them with my thumb. he was crying with a smile again.

"the ahjussi was right. listening should be done before anything else." he nodded. "i'm sorry to let you down, eomma."

i patted his back reassuring that everything is fine. but i was curious to whom he talked to. did heejun appear again?

"who is this ahjussi?" i asked in a soft voice. i know i should be more careful at this time. the kid's heart is too soft.

"he found me when i ran away and got lost. i didn't get to ask his name though. but eomma, he's nice and he said he's a... uhm..." he fumbled on his last sentence. i just listened and waited until he remembers what he's gonna say.

"he said he's some kind of police. a detector? detective?" he blinked as he thought.

"oh. a detective." i corrected, "where is he? i should thank him."

"he was right there." he pointed on the street behind him. but there's no one.

"oh? i think he left already. he was in a rush." dongpyo explained.

i kind of feel disappointed that i wasn't able to thank a person. i wish i could meet him and say thanks.

i held dongpyo's hand and made our way back home. we still have to come to my friend, Seongwoo's place. also, his brothers are waiting.

"i wish we meet again. he's handsome. and he told me i'm so cute." dongpyo mumbled audibly while we walk.

i chuckled. this kid, really. by just hearing him say that, i already know the next thing he's gonna say.

"i want a dad like him."