seventeen

the next morning, gaea and the kids woke up in a new surrounding. the apartment room kim wooseok offered them is quite comfortable although it's small. ong seongwoo stayed there too, a lil afraid of the danger that is haunting them.

"remember what we told you, okay?" gaea nagged while fixing dohyon's collar, "do not talk to anyone you don't know. and do not leave without the ahjussi. are we clear?"

the kids nodded in unison. they were provided with spies to watch over the kids.

gaea also changed into a more decent clothing as she is scheduled to meet the lawyer that the police recommended her. finally, she's taking a braver step forward for her family.

"we're ready to go!" ong cheered with the two elder kids and got off the apartment.

the sun is gradually rising so the winds are still cold on their skin. outside, both detective seungwoo and wooseok were waiting for them with the two guards.

"ahjussi!" dongpyo called as soon as he recognized han seungwoo. he let go of ong's hand and ran towards the detective. "I knew it's you!" the little boy grinned.

seungwoo was flustered, recognizing the boy just now. "dongpyo-ah!" the little boy hugged him and he can't hide his smile when he carried dongpyo.

the others only watched them as they hugged like a father and son.

"he's been wanting to meet you." gaea said with a smile as they approached them.

"really? mian, I didn't know it was you all along. I haven't recognized til now." seungwoo tousled the kid's hair while carrying him in one arm. "have you been well?" he asked and received a nod.

"shall we get going?" wooseok interrupted.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

"we can file a legal guardianship before you go into the court. but there are no guarantees that it'll help you with being eligible for custody because mr. song has all the capacities to take them back to him." jeon hyosung discussed, a lawyer under han sunhwa's firm and also a friend. "if you both want custody, your guardianship may be terminated. or you will have to share responsibilities with him since he's their only parent left. your eligibility should be our focus."

the office is quiet, their ears only waiting for her sentences. han seungwoo came along as he was used to being in his sister's firm.

"first off, we have to answer some necessary questions." attorney jeon flipped through papers and smiled at gaea. "these can be asked when the court asks for psychological test for both parties. it's better if you have knowledge about it."

gaea nodded, feeling more comfortable around the kind lawyer.

"since when were you with the kids and their biological mother?" hyosung started.

"since they were born."

"how are you related with miss nam hyokyung?"

"we lived together in an orphanage, treating each other like a sister although we're not blood-related." gaea sighed, not letting herself drown in her sister's memories.

"can you tell me about her?"

gaea can't help but to feel saddened on the situation where she needs to reminisce for a person that's been gone... forever.