Chapter 21

"So, are you in there?" Katy says to me.

"Hmm?"

"I've been saying your name." She looks at me with a worried expression. Am I hurting her?

"Oh sorry I'm just thinking?"

"Oh, yeah...are you okay?"

"I thi- I-" Katy looks at me, stammering on my own words.

"I don't know."

*Katys POV*

Oh my god. I don't know what to do. We've had deep conversations before. This one however has much hanging on the line. Is this going to be awkward? Possibly. Is this going to make us cry? Definitely. Is this going to make things weird? I hope not. My worries filling my head and my palms start to sweat. This is going to happen now. Let it happen.

"Katy?" Alison says my name. She's looking down at her hands. Her thumbs doing twirls around one another. This is so hard for her. I understand. I grab her shoulder and squeeze it gently.

"Yes?"

"Why did you leave me?" I'm wide eyed as those words slip through her lips. I start to tear up. My mind starts to wander. She grabs my hand with tears filling her eyes and looks deeply into mine.

"I was young" I say. A tear slips her left eye. "I was just beginning my career." She looks down and sniffles. "I wasn't ready, and you didn't deserve that." She starts to cry. I don't know if she needs personal space. I've never done this before. I've never seen her cry so hard. All because of my doing. "I was selfish." I say lastly and very confidently. What I did was for me. Did I think about having her as a daughter? I always thought I'd have a family one day. "I put my dreams before you and I shouldn't have done that, I regret it very deeply." She looks stunned, just staring deeply into her hands. She's crying harder and soft sobs start flowing from her mouth.

"I don't want you to regret anything." She says all in one breath.

"I do regret it honey. I love what I've made of myself, but I shouldn't have done that to you." She shifts in her seat. Grabbing her mug off the coffee table and taking a slow, small sip. I match her actions and grab my tea and take a sip as well. The hot liquid burns my throat on the way down, making my stomach ease up feeling the soothing liquid hit it.

"I just can't believe it." I stare at her, just wanting to know what she's thinking in her smart, beautiful head. "I can't believe you're my mom." She says, looking into my eyes, red and teary eyed. I stare back at her just waiting for her to finish clarifying herself. "Is this real life? How could this be happening to me? I'm dreaming, yes I ought to be. Wake up, Alison wake up." I look at her carefully, I grab her hand and hold it tight. She starts to cry again. "This seriously can't be happening. How did we get here Katy? Why didn't you tell me sooner? I just don't get it, and I'm scared about what's gonna happen."

I pull her into my arms. I let her sink into my chest and cry. Her sobs becoming harder and harder. Tears slip from my eyes as I hold her tighter and tighter. I feel her arms slip behind my back and reciprocate the hug I'm giving her. I let her cry until she slows down. Her breathing no longer hitched, but slow and steady. I close my eyes. God this is hard. My eyes wet and achy from crying.

"I hadn't found out very much sooner than you did honey. I didn't wanna tell you because I wanted to respect your feelings. I was gonna talk it over with your parents somehow, and if I didn't get around to that I was gonna tell you when you started looking for me, if you were going to. I didn't want you to find out how you did." I'm holding her tight in my arms. I don't want her to leave them, ever.