Waking Up

Carlos
Where am I?

Clearly I'm not dead like I intended so Jay saving me wasn't just my imagination being cruel. Anger bubbles up inside me but I'm too tired to do anything, even open my eyes. I just listen to what's going on, foggy brain finally picking up on a conversation.
"He tried to kill himself," a male voice says. Jay? So the other two voices must be Mal and Evie. "That isn't evil Mal it's just...wrong! We went much to far."
"I know," Mal's voice replies. "I never thought he'd be so hurt by us doing this." And here I was thinking she was smart.
"It'll be okay, M," Evie says, quietly. "He'll wake up and...and..."
"And what?!" Jay snaps. "I don't think a 'sorry' will make this better."

I force my eyes to open, fed up of listening to them pretending they care.
"Carlos..." Jay says, sounding relieved. I glare at him. "Okay...I know you're annoyed and hate us but...why? Why would you do that to yourself?"
"Why would you care?" I snap. "You make the only bearable part of my life miserable. You, like everyone else, want me dead."
"If we wanted you dead why would Jay save you?" Evie asks.
"Because then you wouldn't have a punchbag," I mutter.
"Wh- No!" Jay protests. "We don't want you dead. We were just trying to impress our parents. It went too far, we know but...we wanted to be evil. Surely you can relate to that."

To some extent yes but not for the same reason as them. I don't want to impress mother, I just want her to stop hurting me. If I was evil, properly evil, then people wouldn't pick on me. At least one part of my life would be bearable.

"How is bullying evil?" I ask, sourly. "Comparing it to what everyone did to get us stuck here it's child's play." They're silent for a few moments.
"Look. We're sorry," Jay says. I blink in surprise. Most villians don't apologise, especially ones as self centered as these three. "And we don't expect you to forgive us but we're still sorry."
"You were right. I don't forgive you and never will," I state, crossing my arms. "Where are we anyway?"
"It's just an abandoned home. Well. It has a toilet and this room. The person it belonged to died so we claimed this place on our own. You were out for two days, if you were wondering."
"Wh- two??" I ask. They nod. Mum's going to kill me...

"I'd better go then," I say, head throbbing like a beating drum.
"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Evie asks. "You tried to...you know... maybe you shouldn't be alone."
"I'm going home, not to a cliff edge,"I say, rolling my eyes. Not that home is any safer.
"We can't be sure of that," Mal says.
"Then don't be," I say. "You never cared before. Why start now?"