Vocabulary

Hey.

Before we start, I just want to point out something: in the last rant which was about proofreading, I accidentally used the wrong version of "their." I didn't see my mistake in a rant about proofreading.

How silly of me.

.

.

.

*sips tea*

Then again English teachers are always going on about "proofreading" but then when they write up lessons or tests and there's a mistake and then they say "sorry I didn't proofread and I type fast."

.

.

.

*sips tea*

This sounds contradictory. I shouldn't contradict myself. ALWAYS PROOFREAD YOUR WORK, KIDS. EVEN IF YOU ARE AN ENGLISH TEACHER.

Also the reason why I'm sipping tea is because I'm sick, and when I'm sick I get whiny, so prepare yourself for a whiny rant.

Anyways.

Today's rant is about the use of vocabulary in stories.

Now, I've kind of made this mistake before.

So, often times I would read books on here, and there would be a high level of vocabulary. There would be words I don't understand. What English teachers tell you to do if you don't know a word is to look it up. So, I do that. I look up the word. Then I see the definition and I'm like "okay, I know what it means now."

Then I look back to the story now knowing what the meaning of that very sophisticated word is, and I notice that the author isn't using the word correctly. I'm just like, "okay, you used the word, but do you know what the fuck it actually means?"

Sometimes even when I'm writing, I think of a word to use but just don't know the exact definition. So ya kno what I do????

I LOOK IT UP!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!

DICTIONARIES!!!!!!!!!

SOME NERD ACTUALLY WROTE A WHOLE BOOK CONTAINING THE MEANING OF WORDS!!!!!!! THANK YOU NERD!!!!

Side note: has anyone actually read the dictionary? I actually used to read the dictionary. It was my favorite book. I used to try to spell the longest words from the dictionary and annoy all my friends because I spelled longer words than them. Yeah, I was that kid. I now know how to spell pachycephalosaurus because I remembered it from third grade. I was such a geek it's not even funny.

Let's get back on track.

Just don't use fancy words if you don't know what they mean. I know you're trying to be smart or poetic, but please just stop. You might confuse someone who actually has a better understanding of the word than you do.

Okay, so now where I have said earlier where I made this mistake.

In Fluffy Love , I used the phrase "he said with a kinky smile" and evvvverrrryyyooooneee got all riled up. They thought I meant the sexual way, and that I didn't know what kinky meant.

Well, I didn't intend it to be sexual. Maybe.

-English Teacher Olivia Mode Thing Activated (Also spoilers to Fluffy Love)-

Kinky also means curled or twisted, so Mitch had a curled smile in a way. That's how I perceived kinky when I wrote it.

Then again, it can also mean kinky in the sexual sense. Since Jerome was so awestruck by Mitch, he thought so... sexually of him. The story is taken place in Jerome's point of view, so we don't really know if Mitch actually looked at him sexually. Jerome WANTS TO THINK that Mitch looked at him sexually because at that point he kind of fell in love with him.

So, yeah, I kind of just explained the book to you. I kind of want to change it back to kinky, because I liked the use of that word, but since it stirred up some controversy, I probably won't change it back.

If you want to see for yourself all the kinky comments people left me, the chapter is If you had the chance to change your fate, would you? (Okay, there's like three comments pertaining to it, but whatever that's a lot to me.)

OKAY I'M DONE RANTING. GO NOW. SHOO.