Bird Island

Instead of a warm, soft mattress, Luna felt nothing but sand underneath her when she woke up. Confused, she opened her eyes and saw that she was on a beach. Wondering if this was a dream, she pinched herself as hard as she could, but nothing happened. This was definitely real.

Luna got up and began to walk around, calling for Narcissa, Aunt Lydia, and Uncle Clayton. She didn't get any replies. Feeling scared, she sank down and stared at the ocean. Watching the waves crash onto the shore seemed to calm her down a bit. She felt her hand press on something, and she looked to see what it was.

It was a flat, oval-shaped red gem with a silver outline. It's so pretty, she marveled. I'm going to keep it. Suddenly, she heard voices. None of them sounded like any of her family, so she hid behind a nearby rock so she could listen in on them.

 None of them sounded like any of her family, so she hid behind a nearby rock so she could listen in on them

"Do you think it might be around here, Jill?" A male voice asked as two figures came into view. Luna peered over the rock to see that the two figures were birds! And much to her amazement, they were talking!

"I believe so, Ray," the female scarlet-orange bird beside him replied. "Should we try calling them?"

"Sure," Ray agreed. He looked in Luna's direction. He cupped his charcoal-gray wings around his beak and shouted, "Hey! Is someone out there?"

"Do you need any help?" Jill added. She and Ray continued to walk closer, looking both ways. Wondering if they were referring to her, Luna slowly rose up, her hands still gripping the rock.

"I'm over here!" she called. Upon hearing this, Ray and Jill now knew where the voice was coming from. They went to the rock and stopped in their tracks when they saw Luna.

"Hi!" She greeted the orange and gray birds.

"Well, hi," Jill said. She didn't know what to say. Neither she nor her husband have never seen anyone like her in their whole lives. Jill wanted to know what she was, but not wanting to sound rude, she asked, "What's your name?"

"Oh, I'm Luna," the young girl answered, "and, well, I can't find my family. I just woke up here."

Jill and Ray's expressions turned sympathetic. "Don't worry, Luna," Ray assured. "What do they look like?" He felt guilty upon asking this. He and Jill of course figured that Luna's family would be the same as whatever she was. Finding them would be impossible.

"Well," Luna began, "they're humans, just like me." She stopped as soon as she saw their facial expressions drop. "What?" She didn't like where this was going.

"Erm...we're sorry to inform you, but...this is a place called Bird Island. There aren't any humans here," Ray informed. He had never felt so embarrassed and awkward in his life.

"Oh..." Luna replied, sounding disappointed. "Well, can I go see the other birds?"

Ray was about to say something until Jill interrupted him.