Chapter 23

Roseblossom gazed down at her own reflection on the lake. She looked a lot like her mother, but smaller and didn't have tabby stripes. The surface of the gray water rippled as a gentle raindrop fell from the sky.
       Roseblossom shivered from the icy chill as rain started coming down gently. She turned away from the lake, sighing. She hoped the Clans weren't heading into a raging storm, but it felt like they were getting pretty close. StarClan, pleases let there be peace.

       Once Roseblossom had returned to camp, the rain had ceased. The camp was bustling with business. Cats were grabbing prey to eat and some were sharing tongues. Zoomaster sat outside the gorse bush to the nursery, kits tumbling at her paws.
        They had been delivered three sunrise earlier, and tussled in the frost together. Flamepath padded over to his mate, dropping a sparrow gently at her paws. He gazed at his kits with warmth, turning to pad away.
       Zoomaster had had two tom-kits. One was a ginger tabby tom, with amber eyes like Flamepath; they had named him Quietkit. The other was orange and white with blue eyes, and his name was Moonkit.
Roseblossom remembered how Zoomaster and Sandstar had quarreled about Moonkit's name.
"That name is forbidden, Zoomaster," the black leader had calmly observed the white and orange tom-kit while talking to Zoomaster. "You can't name a cat Moon' because it's ancient. It resembles our ancestors, do you understand that?"
"But that is exactly why I want to name him that!" Zoomaster exclaimed. "The Clans are going through a time of great trouble. I want to have something to remind us that our warrior ancestors are still with us, watching over us."
Sandstar had waved his tail in a dismissive manner when Dapplesplash had joined in, taking Zoomaster's side.
Roseblossom personally overall believed her leader; they shouldn't go against StarClan's wishes or the warrior code. And yet, maybe Zoomaster had a point; WindClan needed hope, and maybe Moonkit would resemble it.
                           •*•*•*•*•*•*•*•
        "From this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Moonpaw," hesitation lit the yellow eyes of Sandstar as he addressed the Clan. A warm new-leaf breeze stirred the words to flow around the gathered cats of WindClan.
        Moonpaw's brother, Quietpaw, had already been apprenticed to Roseblossom. She had been genuinely surprised to receive her first apprentice. But mostly she had been embarrassed. She didn't like getting attention, but thought she would get along well with Quietpaw, for he was quiet and shy, hence his name.
        Roseblossom sat beside the ginger tabby now, with Ambernight with her as well. Addertuft had congratulated her when she received her apprentice, love glowing in her hazel eyes. Jaggedswirl had given her a lick over the ears. But a cold stone sat in her belly ever since she had seen Puddlestone's iced copper gaze. Surely he hadn't been jealous. But, still, Roseblossom couldn't shake the ominous feeling stirring in her belly.
       Roseblossom turned her attention back to her leader. "Snowleap will be the mentor to Moonpaw." Sandstar leaped down from Tallrock, not saying another word.
       Usually the Clan would cheer for newly made apprentices, but what with the lurking of enemies at the edges of their borders and the fact that Moonpaw bared a forbidden name, WindClan kept quiet.

The air was heavy with humidity, promising rain. A patrol staggered into the clearing. Roseblossom padded forward slightly, anxiety pulsing through her.
The patrol was battered, more than normal after a border skirmish. Ambernight had led it with Zoomaster behind him; it had only been the dawn patrol, so there hadn't been many warriors assigned to it.
Roseblossom pushed through the crowd. Ambernight's brown pelt was stained crimson. There was a gash on his chest and claw marks along his side. As Roseblossom's eyes drifted to the white warrior that leaned on her mate's shoulder, she found herself closing her eyes in sorrow.
Zoomaster had a gash in her neck; scarlet blood oozed out, and Roseblossom guessed she was close to bleeding out. Fear raked her through her, like an icee claw. What if that had been Ambernight? Roseblossom rushed forwards towards him. Ambernight swept her towards him with a wave of his brown tail.
He laid Zoomaster down gently, propping the white she-cat's head up. Firepool pushed through the clustered cats. The dark ginger medicine cat placed cobwebs over the slash in Zoomaster's neck.
Zoomaster tried to raise her head, yellow eyes flickering open. "Firepool, I need to see my kits."
Firepool nodded, glancing sideways at Roseblossom. Roseblossom searched the crowd for Moonpaw and her own apprentice. The two siblings were huddled together. Quietpaw trotted forward quickly, shakily crouching down beside his mother. He said nothing, but his amber eyes were glazed with sadness.
Moonpaw walked forwards, slowly. Emptiness, yet wisdom shown greatly in his blue eyes. Zoomaster smiled. "I'm glad I had the opportunity to bring life into my Clan, and care for my kits and watch them grow. Don't ever give up hope, my loves... No matter what, keep on smiling..."
Zoomaster blinked gently, yellow gaze resting on the clear sky above, before giving a soft last breath.
Moonpaw blinked, long and hard, and then opened his eyes again. He gazed down at his mother's still, peaceful body. He furrowed his brows; understanding yet frustration showed in his expression.
He crouched down, but not to grieve. He leaned over to whisper into Firepool's ear. The wind shifted. Roseblossom perked her ears, catching the words Moonpaw had spoken. His voice shook with wisdom, but also disturbance.
"I knew this was going to happen."