Chapter 34

Icy rain battered down from the dark sky. It was just nighttime, and the leaf-bare chill of rain soaked through Roseblossom's pelt. Her pelt brushed alongside Ambernight's as they crouched in the cover of the tall grass, which was gray in pouring rain.
"We should get back to camp," worry for her Clanmates and friends pricked through Roseblossom's paws. She hoped the camp wouldn't flood. It shouldn't, she told herself. The camp is on a hill.
Ambernight glanced at her sideways, nodding awkwardly to something ahead. "Look," he whispered.
Roseblossom perked her ears. Though she couldn't smell or hear it through the thick wall of rain, Roseblossom could barely make out the silhouette of a mouse searching for shelter.
Ambernight stalked forwards slightly, motioning for Roseblossom to go to one side of the mouse. Crouching, Roseblossom slunk through the tall grass, picking her way around the side of her prey.
Ambernight suddenly pounced, missing the mouse with a clumsy mis-judge of distance. But the mouse turned towards the tall grass where Roseblossom lied in wait. She swished her tail, ready to make the kill. Her Clan needed it in the rough time of leaf-bare.
As the mouse scuttled a tail-length infront of her claws, she swiped it into the air and gave it a killing bite. Roseblossom gazed down at her kill, rain pattering around her paws. It wasn't much, but it would feed some of the Clan.
Ambernight padded through the grass, dipping his head awkwardly. "Nice catch."
Roseblossom purred. "Clumsy furba—"
Roseblossom was just about to tease her mate for his clumsy mishap, when a surprised yowl split the air. Even through the tunnel of rain, Roseblossom could distinguish the cry as one from her own Clanmates. She gave a quick glance at Ambernight, and, picking up her mouse, spun off in the direction of camp.
Ambernight was hard on her tail.

Roseblossom reached the camp with Ambernight a few pawsteps ahead of her. What she could make out through the pounding rain was chaos. Utter chaos. There was no distinguishing who cat was from what Clan, all Roseblossom knew was that there were cats all around her, which whom were fighting to the death.
Roseblossom glanced at Ambernight, anxiety pulsing through her, resting in the pit of her stomach. His amber eyes flashed before he plunged into battle. Roseblossom could only stand, rooted to the spot. She didn't want to fight. She only wanted peace. That's all she ever wanted among the Clans.
A white tom with cream stripes hurtled at Roseblossom. She jumped into the air, trying to get away from Lightripple's claws. The white tom bit down on Roseblossom's hind leg. She let out a growl of pain.
The RiverClan tom's amber eyes gleamed with menace through the rain. The pain was suddenly lifted as Brackencatch landed squarely on Lightripple's back, and bit down on his shoulders.
Roseblossom whipped around, leaving the two toms to scuffle. Crystalflame clawed at a black she-cat. With a jolt of anxiety, Roseblossom recognized the cat as Willowfly of ThunderClan. ThunderClan and RiverClan are battling us? When will this war end? How will we fight off two Clans?
Just as Roseblossom was about to give up hope, a stream of cats bounded up the crest of the slope. Roseblossom could just make out their muscled shoulders and glinting eyes. ShadowClan! Had they come to fight against WindClan too?
Roseblossom sighed with relief as Rainstar plunged into the battle to batter at Doestar, leader of ThunderClan. Tallfur of ShadowClan lunged wildly at a ThunderClan cat. Pain seared through Roseblossom's tail, and then her back. Some cat who was to her side hooked the enemy away. The rain battered down harder.
Roseblossom squinted. Two figures of cats were attacking a small figure. Roseblossom's heart lurched. Moonpatch! Roseblossom fought the urge to stay back. Even though she wanted peace, she couldn't let her Clanmates be ripped apart, especially not a medicine cat.
Roseblossom hurled herself at one of Moonpatch's attackers, Hollyflower. Roseblossom clawed at the night-black she-cat who smelled of ThunderClan. She then turned and hooked Duskoat off of Moonpatch's tail. The gray she-cat of RiverClan growled, then turned away to leap into battle again. Moonpatch staggered to his paws.
"I was trying to get cobwebs to some of the injured cats," Moonpatch explained solemnly. "I didn't expect any cat to attack me."
Roseblossom could only give a small nod. She couldn't keep up with all the cats screeching around her as well as the rain thundering in her ears. Cats dived at each other, hooking claws on fur. Shrieks of battle sounded all around; Roseblossom's head pounded. Blood roared in her ears. She couldn't hear her own thoughts.
She blinked, a misty gaze clogging her vision. Her head ached. The rain was starting to let up, ever so slightly. Roseblossom shrunk to the muddy ground. Time seemed to stop, and Roseblossom couldn't focus. The haze of darkness pricked at the edge of her vision, threatening to take hold. And it did.