Chapter 40

The new-leaf sunshine brought warmth as it's rays shone down brightly. The purple heather-buds stirred in the ever so slightest breeze. Laughter filled the busy air, as birds tweeted and rabbits burrowed.
Two cats ran side-by-side over the sloping moorland. The gray and white she-cat was built for stamina, and she could outpace her companion. The brown tom was flighty, but not near as agile.
Roseblossom pulled ahead of her mate, letting the breeze ruffle her fur. It felt good to be out of the confined camp; her kits were one moon old, and Roseblossom had some time to herself, as Velvetmask was watching her sons.
Ambernight wouldn't let her stay out too long, though. He was very protective of his two sons, even more so than Roseblossom thought he could be.
As Roseblossom bounded up a slope, Ambernight caught up to her. They were nearly to the top when Ambernight stumbled. He fell, rolling, tail over paws, down the rise.
Roseblossom scrambled after him, worry tightening thick in her chest. Her mate came to a rolling stop, and looked up at her with awkward embarrassment. Roseblossom let out a yowl of laughter, worry melting away.
She flicked grass off her mate's ear with her tail. "Clumsy furball!" She purred. "And I thought you couldn't get any more clumsy than you already were."
Ambernight gave a small smile, joining in her own amusement. "Guess you still have more to learn about me."
Roseblossom helped her mate up. "I can't wait to find out."
Together the two cats bounded up the rise, Roseblossom stopping halfway to wait for Ambernight. They bounded over the crest, above them a vast expanse of clear blue. Land rolled out beyond, purple heather swaying. The sky was clear, and it couldn't be any more beautiful.