Chapter 8

A baby blue cloudless sky hung over a gray and white she-cat's head. Green grass waved in the warm breeze. She stalked a rabbit ahead. She knew that in the waking world the  new-leaf weather wasn't as perfect. It was rainy and wet, but in her dream, everything was just right.
She sprang after her prey, her paws carrying her faster than normal. She was on the rabbit's heels in no time. She was chasing it straight towards a clump of tall grass. She dared bound closer to her prey. Rosepaw skidded to a halt as two cats emerged from the grass. The rabbit scampered away into the bushes.
Rosepaw shrugged her shoulders. It wasn't real, so it couldn't feed the Clan anyways. She turned her attention to the cats who had spooked the rabbit. A gray tom with long fur and unique blue eyes that had a hint of amber stood beside a small cream and white she-cat with dark cream tabby markings on her face and tail. The she-cat had a scar across her shoulder and ice-blue eyes that held no emotion.
Rosepaw let her tail swish in wonder as she noticed the faint stars at the cats' paws. StarClan cats. Rosepaw waved her tail in confusion. But I'm not a medicince cat. How could StarClan themselves visit me? Rosepaw looked each cat over in turn. Their pelts were silky and they were fit. Rosepaw perked her ears as she studied the cream she-cat. Recognition sparked through her as she gazed at the familiar tabby tail.
This cat was the loner I saw on the rise overlooking the camp. Rosepaw could have sworn the cat who had been overlooking their camp was living, real. How could StarClan visit the real world, anyways?
Rosepaw met the gaze of the she-cat, tilting her head curiously. She looked away shyly when the cream cat returned her gaze. She didn't like meeting knew cats, but she took a deep breath. If I want answers, I'll have to say something.
"I recognize you," Rosepaw told the cream cat, in hopes the StarClan warriors would respond.
The cream she-cat nodded. "Yes, I thought you would," she kept her unmoving eyes fixed into Rosepaw's, but addressed the tom. "She takes a lot after her mother doesn't she, Driftfrost?"
The wise gray tom, Driftfrost, dipped his head. "She does. She has her humor too. But I think she has something else familiar to someone I know," Driftfrost gazed intensly at Rosepaw. "She's quiet and shy at times. She is a bit like the cat she was named after."
Rosepaw's pelt pricked with unease. How do they know so much about me? And what does Driftfrost mean? Who was I named after? A faint memory flooded back to Rosepaw, as vivid as her dream. She was in the nursery, snuggled beside her mother and litter-mate.
Her mother's loving voice touched her ears gently. "I'll name you after a close friend of mine. She may be lost in the real world, but she'll never be gone from my heart."
Rosepaw blinked as the memory faded away. She gazed at the cream she-cat questioningly.
"Yes, Rosepaw, I am the one who you were named after."