Chapter 24

The clouds above were dark gray and heavy with a promising rain. The new-leaf air was humid and as heavy as the clouds themselves appeared to be. A roll of thunder hung in the thick air, slicing its silence with a growling rumble.
Roseblossom sat beside Ambernight and Quietpaw, sharing a young rabbit with them. Roseblossom reflected on their previous hunt. She had shown Quietpaw the hunter's crouch. Though hesitant and shy, Quietpaw had picked up quickly, and caught a field mouse.
Roseblossom was proud of her apprentice. She sympathized him and his littermate. They had just recently lost their mother, Zoomaster. Roseblossom had respected the young she-cat's hope and energy. She seemed to be the source of light and faith for WindClan, but ever since her loss, the light seemed to grow dimmer every day.
Dapplesplash tried to stay her positive-self, but Roseblossom could tell even her hope was slipping away. Firepool's usually snappy and rude demeanor had turned quiet and thoughtful, usually ignoring other cats. The dark ginger medicine cat spent a lot of time with Moonpaw. Snowleap seemed let down that her apprentice was straying from his warrior apprentice duties, and turning towards herbs and signs from their ancestors.
Roseblossom still thought it weird that Moonpaw knew his mother's death was coming. Perhaps he had a vision or warning from StarClan. Perhaps their is still hope for our Clan to prosper.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join beneath the Tallrock for a Clan meeting," Sandstar stood on the tallest rock in the camp, addressing the Clan. It was afternoon, and the heavy clouds still lingered above, ready to let pouring rain be unleashed at any given moment.
       Dapplesplash sat at the base of the Tallrock, quickly finishing grooming her orange-spotted pelt. Once the cats of WindClan had settled, Sandstar gazed around them with calm yellow eyes. The Clan leader jumped down from his perch, beckoning to a young orange and white cat from the crowd.
       Moonpaw stepped forwards soundlessly. Firepool shifted out of the crowd to stand beside him. "Cats of WindClan," the fiery ginger's voice rasped with weariness. "I believe StarClan has called on Moonpaw to follow the path of a medicine cat."
A few mumbles of disbelief broke out. Roseblossom could hear her brother Puddlestone protest. "StarClan has forgotten about us. It's time we forget about them!"
Roseblossom could feel her mother Addertuft stiffen beside her, though she said nothing. Mallowfall and a few others murmured agreement to Puddlestone's words.
Roseblossom was comforted when Ambernight's fur brushed her's. She caught a sneering glance in her direction from Puddlestone. Roseblossom blinked, turning her attention back to the ceremony.
Dapplesplash stood for a moment. "There is still hope for us. We should honor StarClan and look to them for guidance." Roseblossom could tell Dapplesplash was trying her hardest to sound positive, but her voice was slightly edged with a trace of doubt.
Roseblossom admired her deputy, though. She'll make a good leader one day. While Sandstar was a calm and wise leader, Dapplesplash would make a positive encouraging leader who would see her Clan through any trouble.
Roseblossom had been so lost in thought that she had missed half the ceremony. Guilt crept over her as she gave her attention to the last few words spoken.
"Do you accept the duty as a medicine cat, Moonpaw?"
Wisdom shone in the depths of Moonpaw's deep blue eyes. "I do."
Sandstar gave a curt nod. "The good wishes of WindClan go with you."
But Roseblossom could sense the lie in the calm voice of her leader's words.