4. Marrying a Prince...

The doors burst open revealing a very angry prince yelling, "I've never been so insulted!" He keeps walking, missing the rear end of his pants.

"Oh, Prince James. You're not leaving so soon, are you?"  Shiro exclaims hoping he would stay.  

"Good luck marrying him off! And to think I would give it a chance. Heck no! This is why women are better," Prince James yells before exiting to leave the palace. Shiro shakes his head in frustration. 'Not again,' he thinks. He fixes himself as he exits the doors the prince just busted through seconds ago.

"Keith!" Shiro yells as he storms down the stairs into the garden where Keith was. He see's him sitting on the fountain. As he approaches closer, the wolf decided to intervene. "Kosmo I am not playing." Shiro notices the piece of clothing in his mouth. 'Of course' he thought. Shiro grabs it from Kosmo's mouth but it only ripped leaving the rest in Kosmo's mouth. 

"Spit it out, Kosmo! So, this is why Prince James stormed out!" Shiro yells. Keith turns to look at him. Kosmo walks to Keith letting him pet him. Keith smiles sweetly playing innocent as he pets Kosmo.  

"Oh come on Shiro. Lighten up. Kosmo was just playing with him, weren't you my fluffy wolf," Keith says as he hugs the gigantic wolf's head. He grabs the cheeks of the wolf, baby talking him. "You were just playing with that overdressed, self-absorbed Prince James, weren't you?" Kosmo smiled as he snuggled to Keith which cause him to chuckle as well, until he looks up at Shiro again. A very angry looking Shiro. O boy was he in for it. "Ahem." 

"Keith. You can't be doing this. You know the rules. You can't reject every suiter that comes to call. You're lucky the law changed enough to allow same gender marriage," Shiro says as he follows Keith to the dove cage. "You have to marry someone before your next birthday. I know it's hard but-"

"I know Shiro it's just... I can't.... The law is wrong! I don't want to force it! I know I did this all year. It's just I can't..." Keith looks down.

"We only have 3 more days till your birthday Keith. You know I told you patience yields focus, but the law is going against us right now. I hate to be the brother who forces you into this, but try to understand."

"Either way you were lucky. After Mom and Dad greeted you to the first suiter. Y'all hit it off the first day. Adam and you were so happy that y'all got married the next day. Of course I'm the youngest supposed to be sent away to another kingdom for peace but here we are!" 

"I know Keith. You are the next person on throne s-"

"It wasn't my choice that you and Adam didn't decide to adopt kids so I can live with my life. It's not my fault he had died and you decided all this!" Keith yelled out but instantly regretted it. Shiro was stunned. He saddened. 

"I know Keith. It's just.... Adam was the love of my life and adopting kids... We always wanted to but our duties kept us from going on with our plan. Adam died because he had to go on a mission to another kingdom which I sent him. It was my fault. I let him go without thinking the possibilities." 

"I'm sorry Shiro, I didn't mean to say that. You know it wasn't your fault. You didn't know it would happen. It's just I want..." Keith pulls out a dove from the cage and pets it. "I want to marry someone out of love... like you did... Even if you were supposed to marry someone, you were lucky enough to meet Adam. I remember how you told me you felt that spark and Adam did to...." Keith hands the bird to Shiro as he continues on as he walks to the pond. "Ever since our parents died it affected me a lot, but Adam was there. I saw why you loved him. He was like a second mom to me. But when he died... you became protective of me. Just try to understand. I've never done a thing on my own since." Keith swirls his finger in the water of the pond, petting the fish. "I've never had any real friends." Kosmo becomes offended and growls a bit. 

"Of course except you, Kosmo. Also Pidge and Matt. I've never even been outside the palace walls," Keith exclaims as he gestures to the walls. Shiro walks to him, taking a seat next to him.

"But Keith, you're a prince," Shiro said, trying to reason with him. 

"Then maybe I don't want to be a prince if it means being stuck here!" Keith yells as he splashes the water. Shiro shakes his head and ruffles Keith's hair. 

"Lighten up Keith. You will one day. Just not now. I have to go. I need to meet with Princess Allura from the Altea Kingdom. Don't get into any more trouble. I'll have Katie and Matt bring your food and Kosmo's outside."

"Thanks..." Keith says as he watches Shiro walk back into the palace. Keith was still a bit furious from the conversation. He walks to the dove's cage and yanks it open, watching the birds flying free. Keith hopes one day he can be free from this cage as well.