VII

Ava shoves her clothes into her bag, not caring if it gets wrinkled. She just needs to get going to meet with her brother at a tavern. She hears the door open. In the mirror, she can see Niklaus entering the room.

"No," she tells.

"You don't know what I was going to say."

"You threw away an importance alliance for a crush."

"What I feel is real."

"Last time I was told that, my heart was broken. People change."

"I'm not that man."

She stops, holding a dress in her hands.

"No, you're not. But I'm not ready."

"It has been a full year, and I have developed feelings for you. And based off of that kiss, I would think you would feel the same."

She goes back to finishing packing. Turning, she sees the prince holding her cloak. Putting the emerald material on, she tries to leave the conversation. Niklaus follows her, though she tries to ignore what he is saying. He grabs her upper arm, pulling her back. Rolling her eyes, the two royals look at each other.

"I will not force you to make that decision," he tells her, "but eventually I do need an answer."

"I will answer on my own time."

With that, Ava yanks away and walks away to the gates. Her horse is waiting for her. She thanks the servant as she mounts the creature. She rides off to the tavern. The woods provides shade as she rides out of the city. Her mind keeps replaying that short conversation. That clot-pole really thinks that is the proper way to talk to a person. She should be able to determine her role on everything before making a decision like that. Plus, unlike him, she knows that she might be married off to form an alliance, and she is willing to accept it. 

Or is she? Marrying Niklaus would solidify an alliance between Camelot and Mercia; and both kings would be in support of it. So what is holding her back? It's not like Niklaus is bad looking and it probably would be a decent marriage. She shakes her head, trying to get it out of her mind. This is honestly ridiculous. She has other stuff she has to worry about later.

Soon the tavern appears out of the woods. She spots her brother and his servant. Riding over, she sees Merlin and Arthur sliding off their saddles. She follows their lead, tying the reigns to the post by the two men.

"Well look who it is," Arthur laughs. "Seems we have been graced with my sister's presence. Will you be home longer than a month and a half?"

"We'll see," she responds, lowering her hood. "There is much we have to discuss."

"At least you were safe," Merlin states. "There has been a decent amount of thugs going around."

"I can handle myself." 

The three enters the tavern, taking in the commotion. The bar lady leads the group to a table. She starts cleaning it off.

"What can I get you, handsome?" she asks.

"You're too kind," Arthur chuckles.

"I was talking to your friend," the woman corrects him. Merlin and Ava looks at each other, making an impressed face.

"Mead for all three," he tells her. The woman nods her head before getting them each a mug. Ava starts drinking from her's. It is honestly good. Better than some wine she gets in the castle at times. A man walks in with a few men behind him. He goes straight to the bar, talking to the woman. She gives him the money, but he doesn't seem satisfied. He pulls a blade on her.

"I suggest you put that away," Arthur calls to him. The brute looks at him before stalking over. Ava lets out a groan.

"Say that again," the man growls.

"I suggest you put that away. You don't want to find yourself in trouble."

"And you are the trouble?"

"I wouldn't do that," Merlin chuckles. Ava looks at him in annoyance. This just encourages the man more. He whistles and his men surround the group. Ava stands up to walk away, only to have a man grab her shoulder.

"This is the wrong moment," she groans, swinging. The fist connect with flesh, sending the man back a few steps. 

"Looks like the girl wants you to leave," a man asks. He has shoulder length brown hair and dark brown eyes. Ava notices that he has a ring on a chain around his neck. 

"What do you want?" the thug asks.

"To drink," the man informs him. He picks up a mug and start chugging the contents. Once finished, he slams it on one of the henchmen's head. A full on bar fight breaks out. Ava easily handles herself, fighting the men. Ava backs up for a second, right by the guy who is helping them.

"Gwaine," he introduces himself. He offers a hand.

"Ava," she responds, shaking his hand.

"Can hold your own."

"Parents wanted me to be prepared." 

She goes back to the bar fight. Gwaine ends up going to help Merlin. The main thug goes to stab Arthur, but the new ally leaps in front of the prince. Ava takes this moment to knock the man out so people can put him in the stocks. She quickly goes pull the blade out of his leg, tearing a towel. She uses it to slow the bleeding. The dark hair man passes out in shock and blood loss.

"We need to get him to Gaius," Merlin states. He goes and helps Ava take the unconscious man out. They sling him onto her horse before she hops on. Arthur and Merlin get theirs.

"If you are bothered by these men again," the prince states, "send word to Camelot. Knights will be here in a day's time."

"How can you promise that?" the tavern lady asks.

"My brother and I are the Prince and Princess of Camelot," Ava states before riding off. The entire ride, she has to focus on two things. The first would be getting to the town in a timely manor. The second being the need to keep the man on the horse. Soon they make it to the castle. Arthur and Merlin grabs Gwaine, carrying him to the physician's home. Ava opens the doors for them. Gaius looks at the wound.

"Merlin-"

"Fresh water," he finishes.

"And Ava-"

"Already going to crush the herbs," she states as the two leave. Gaius looks at Arthur.

"I have them trained clearly."

"Well give him the best of care," the prince states. "He saved my life."

"Of course, m'lord."

Ava and Merlin hurry back with the supplies. Gaius gets to work.