XXI

Arthur rushes into Ava's room, excited and joyful. He hugs her before even thinking of explaining what is going on.

"They found a different suspect," he tells her. "Gwen will be fine. She will be set free."

"How?" 

"I found an old man placing another poultice under my pillow, and confessed everything. Claimed he was enchanting me and Gwen."

Merlin, she thinks. Relief floods her system as she hugs him back. The two don't even need to say it, that they knew the love he has for Gwen wasn't an enchantment. Someone clears their throat, causing them to turn. Gaius is standing by the open door.

"How may I help you?" the red head asks.

"I was hoping that you could assist me on some orders I need to make," he says smoothly. "They are urgent."

"Of course," she responds. The two walk towards the physician's home to get to work. However, she knows there is something he isn't telling her.

"What happened?" she asks. He waits till the door is shut before telling her. 

"Merlin used an aging spell to disguise himself to save Gwen. But he could not undo it in time to avoid being arrested. So we need to help him before-"

"Before he gets executed." He nods his head. "Show me what I need to do."

The two get to work on making a potion. The requirements are so exact, one slip up could ruin the entire thing. She gets to work, mashing some of the herbs together while Gaius mixes powders into a pot of boiling water. The two work endlessly through the night, working on various parts in order to decrease the time. 

The final vial is compared to the color circle for comparison. Just the right color. They hurry out where and old Merlin is being escorted. Ava shows to vial slightly. Merlin smirks at her slightly, before stopping.

"You all are fools," he shouts. "You cannot kill me." 

His eyes lock on the princess, acting like he is about to attack her. She slips the vial in his hand.

"Pretend to be hurt," she mutters before pulling a punch to his gut. He doubles over enough so Arthur pulls him away. People focus on if their princess, making sure she is fine. Perfect distraction for Merlin to slip free. He takes off back inside the castle. The guards and Arthur take off after him. Ava follows the group. She easily catches up with the group. They stop when they spot Merlin. A smirk grows on her face when she sees he is back to normal.

"Did you see the sorcerer?" Arthur asks.

"He went that way," he tells the prince.

"And you let him get away?"

"He was fast."

"He was an old man."

Merlin shrugs before Arthur and the knights take off. The two left look at each other before laughing.

"Don't use that spell again," she tells him. "Or at least a twenty-four hour notice so I can make a spare potion."

"I promise," he laughs. They start walking in the opposite direction the guards went. This worked out way better than they thought. Plus it is funny that her brother would be chasing a nonexistent man. Gwen walks towards them, smiling. Her and Ava embrace each other, happy everything turned out for the better.

"Talk to me if you need to," Ava whispers in her ear.

"Will do," the girl responds. "She failed this time."

The two separate and share a knowing smile. Gwen isn't stupid. She knows as well as Ava that Morgana did not come across them by accident. Hopefully they can keep her from pulling something like this again.