VIII

Ava watches as knights from various regions of the kingdom enter the castle. Next to her is Uther, also looking at the attending groups. Arthur and Merlin are on the steps, greeting the guests. 

"He has gotten better with responsibilities," Ava states.

"I have to agree. The melee should help prove that is strong. Though it may help if his main assistance is by his side." She looks at him in confusion. "Maybe it's about time a lady of the court should be able to fight. Especially if this one has almost laid down her life for her kingdom multiple times."

She embraces him.

"Thank you," she mutters as she pulls away.

"Now we need to talk about the wedding incident."

"Please no."

"If not now, when?"

"I did not ask him to risk an alliance. The three kingdoms would have been a strong one."

"It would have. But Sarrum is still allying with Bayard. So that leaves what you're going to do."

"I don't know."

"Niklaus would make a great pairing."

"Please let me think about this."

"Of course. Now let's go greet the guests."

The father and daughter walk down the halls to welcome the knights. Merlin smirks at Ava just before he is handed a trunk to carry. He shrugs before carrying it off. She looks away. The way her heart beats would make her think that he is the reason she refuses to get married. But that must be insane. The two can't be a thing. It was made clear. Arthur steps up by his sister.

"Welcome," Uther smiles. "This year's melee will have a new addition, not only will my son fight, but so will my daughter. Changes are coming to Camelot. May this challenge show strength and courage among our warriors. By knight's honor, may I wish everyone luck."

Everyone cheers in excitement. Arthur slaps his sister in the back as he smiles. The two Pendragon siblings joke around and other knights join in. Some still are shocked about a woman is competing. 

"Will she be able to handle us?" someone jokes.

"I would think so," Leon laughs, looking at her. "She is pretty talented at fighting."

She laughs, her curls falling in her face. No one notices Merlin had stopped to watch the king's speech. It's about time he let her do a challenge. The way the princess laughs and her hair a bit as wild as it is suits her. Her being this happy seems to give her a glow. He hates what he did to her a year ago, but it had to be done. A knight notices him standing there and orders him to move a trunk. A servant's work is never truly done. 

~~~

Merlin drags Gwaine out of the tavern. The fighter had gotten drunk and offered to pay for the entire bar. Just it didn't help he had no money. So Merlin sent the tab to Arthur. Let's hope the prince is in a good mood. In the corner of the sorcerer's eye, he can see a candle illuminate Ava's room. He drags the drunk man into his room and lay him on the bed. Once Gwaine is covered in blankets, he goes off to the castle. He sneaks about so no one would see him. 

His feet know the direct path to the chambers, even it has been awhile since he has sneaked there. Once he gets to the door, he hears a muffled sobbing. She hasn't had a nightmare in a good while. He pushes it open to see her on the ground, knees pulled to her. Not many have seen her this vulnerable. He grabs a blanket and wrap it around her, pulling her close. She turns so her face is pressed against hi shirt. He runs his fingers through her hair, letting her calm down.

"What was it about this time?"

"I saw a battle. Arthur was killed in front of me. I couldn't save him. I failed him."

The tears start back up. Merlin holds her, letting her cry it out. Eventually no more tears fall. The front of his shirt is completely soaked, but he just ignores it. Ava and him lock eyes. She places a hand on his cheek and kiss him softly. He pulls away.

"I thought that's what you wanted," she tells him.

"I won't do that to you," he tells her, scooping her up. "I won't push any of my feelings on you when you can't think straight."

He gently lays her on her bed, laying next to her. He pushes fiery curls out of her face as her breathing steadies. He mutters a small spell. Sleep takes over her once again. He blows the candle out and lays there for a bit. Just to make sure there aren't any more nightmares. The moonlight illuminates her pale skin, making it seem like she is glowing in the dark.

"I will never push you to be with me," he mutters. He sits up, looking back at her one more time. "Never. But I won't stop loving you. Even if you marry some prince and have your own family."

With that he leaves her to sleep.