XXV

Merlin, Arthur, Gaius, and others sit in a hidden cave. He keeps thinking back to seeing Ava falling over, helpless. He needs to find away to save her and get Arthur his crown. No one is looking at him, so he takes this chance to pull out a vial of water. The Fisher King had given it to him, saying it is to help Camelot in its most dire need. He just needs to activate it. Something startles him and he drops it on the ground. The water puddles and he sees the image of Freya, the only other woman he fell in love with than Ava. 

"Freya," he gasps. "I need a way to kill an immortal army."

"Merlin," she smiles. "There is already a weapon that kills the dead."

"But they are immortal, not dead."

"Once they became immortal, they gave up their right to life. The blade you seek is at the bottom of the Lake of Avalon. You made sure of that."

"Thank you Freya."

He grabs his stuff before heading out of the cave. He hurries to a field where he calls for Kilgharrah. The dragon flies into view and lands in front of him.

"I need to get twenty leagues behind enemy lines," Merlin states.

"I am not a horse," the dragon argues.

"If I don't get the sword, Morgana will win and she will have Camelot. Is that what you wish?"

"I would never ally myself with a witch," Kilgharrah argues.

"Are you allied with me?"

"Of course I am."

"Then help me."

The dragon agrees and allows for Merlin to climb on his back. The creature flies to the Lake of Avalon. There Merlin tries to summon the blade he seeks. An arm shoots out of the water, holding it. Freya top half pops out, smiling while holding the sword. She gives it to him before going back into the water. Kilgharrah flies the sorcerer back to the field they were just at.

"Promise will put that sword where no man can get it," he requests as Merlin dismounts. "It can be dangerous in the wrong hands."

"I promise."

"Thank you."

With that, he flies away. The dark hair boy rushes back to the cave before anyone truly noticed he was gone. Arthur is going around, talking to Gwaine and Gaius. A commotion outside draws all of their attentions. The prince pulls out his sword before peaking outside. The group calms once they see it is Gwen and Leon. Arthur automatically embraces Gwen in relief. This just increases the need for to save Ava in Merlin's mind. 

"Enemy guards," someone calls. The group looks to see the armed men running towards them. The group rushes to the woods. As the main group makes it to a thin passage, barely getting through, rocks tumble down. This allowing for the group to avoid having to face an immortal force. The only other way around this would involves going a few leagues to find a easier access. Lancelot pops out with two men behind him. One is tall and wide built. His hair is cut extremely short. Next to him is another man with light hair and dark blue eyes. The second man looks familiar. 

"Lancelot," Arthur smiles. "Niklaus. What are you two doing here?"

So this is Ava's fiance?

"Merlin sent for me," Lancelot states. "This is Percival. The two of us were with the prince when we received the news." 

"My father would have been no help," Niklaus states. "But I figured I should offer my services."

"Thank you," Arthur smiles. The prince starts to lead the way to a new hiding location. Niklaus falls back a bit so he is walking with Merlin in the back of the group. 

"So you must be Merlin," the prince concludes.

"Yes."

"So you and Ava had-"

"We could not be together. And you two are meant to be married."

"I would have never offered if you had never hurt her. She is still a Lady of the Court and men would try to marry her to have a chance at the crown of Camelot. At least I would try to make her happy."

"You know she doesn't want to be married, right?"

"You have some guts talking to royalty," Niklaus laughs. "But I promise you if there is a better person out there for her, I will step down."

Merlin nods his head. He is unsure if this guy is telling the truth. Ava had said she was friends with the prince before but does not want to marry him. Leon seems to occasionally look back to see if the prince is planning something. Soon the group arrives at an abandoned castle. Arthur tells them how the castle use to be owned by the Old Kings. Gwaine pulls a cloth off of a table. It is a circular stone table with engravings in it.

"This was preferred since no one is above the others," Arthur states. "I think it is time we revive this tradition. All of you deserve to sit. It would take all of us to save Camelot." Everyone but Niklaus sits at the table. "Even help from foreign friends."

The prince sits down. Gaius asks what Arthur is planning. He says first he will do what his father has dislike, knight Gwaine, Percival, and Lancelot.

~~~

Morgana walks into the chambers to check on Ava. The red head is laid on her bed, her hair spread out on her pillow. Anger wells in the Queen when she looks at her. How could she do this to her? How could her sister leave her? Hopefully some time feeling the pain that Morgana has. She will learn to love the new way one day or another. Maybe Morgana will wait till she has Merlin and Arthur imprisoned and then wake her up to watch their deaths. Her finger wraps around a red curl.

"I wander what is going through that head of your's," she wanders aloud, dropping the lock of hair. She glances out the window, hoping for a sign of her brother. The sooner he arrives, the quicker this can end. She will remain unopposed and the ruler of this kingdom. No one will ever be prosecuted for having magic and she will gain the respect of the people. No matter what it takes. This is her kingdom. The witch picks up a rose, smashing it in her hand.

"Sweet dreams, Sister."

She leaves, content with seeing her laying there. The Queen leaves and goes to the throne room. She looks at the guards there.

"I want gallows built by sunrise. Any knight who does not pledge themselves to me will be hung."