53| Cinnamon Buns

Vince and I sit in the patio combating the cold air with our hoodies. I'm reading a book on characters and Vince is watching a play on his phone. Signing  day is tomorrow and Vince has committed to UC Berkeley using his relationship with Vicki as an example Vince isn't the best at commitment. Still I'm proud of him, and I know the second he signs that paper all the hard work he has been putting in since he began playing catch is going to pay off.

I close my book after breezing through 3 chapters, and forgetting I'm in the middle of school I take a sniff of the old brown pages.

Vince's eyebrows jump up and I let the book drop on the table while Vince slides his phone in his pocket. "You're a weirdo."

"The pages smell good," I argue. I've been having to defend this habit since I was reading books about fairies and treating them like candles. Only people who love being in the aisles of Barnes and Nobles will understand this vice of mine.

"You know you're not too far from the people who eat paper right?" I pick up the book and open to a random page.

"Come on smell pages 22 to 40 it's a refreshing scent." Vince shakes his head. "No nigga you're weird." I put the book down, and the smell of the pages leaves my nostrils and the scent of pretty perfume enters. With a slicked top knot Vicki finds her place right on Vince's lap. Vince gives her a passionate kiss and I'm happy to see them together, but I'm confused. When Vince sees my eyes still on him their tongues separate and he's back to scolding me.

"I thought you stopped that staring thing."

"I, I did I'm just."

Vicki jumps in. "Wondering How we got back together."

I nod and Vince shakes his head.

He looks me dead in the eyes and with a straight face says, "pregnancy." Like Vince Vicki is stoic and my heart drops, but goes back into place when Vicki lets out a giggle.

"You guys are terrible," I say and they both burst into laughter.

"You lil gullible ass, there will be no little Vince's running around chill," Vince laughs some more.

"So why did you guys get back together then?" I hate to be nosey, but my dad wants to know and of course he made me his spy.

They exchange looks and Vince lets out a sigh. "Jada slapped the shit out of me, and told me to get out of my head."

"That's it?"

"Yeah it's that simple," Vicki adds. The juicy story my dad and I created about them grabbing the last ice cream dip and dots doesn't exist, what a bummer. A group of girls call Vicki over by the locker room and she scurries off leaving Vince and I back with the same expressions. My fingers touch the edge of my book, but I stop when Jada slides in next to Vince making him flinch a bit.

"Y'all wanna know something?" She shouts and takes a bite of her cafeteria bagel.

Vince shrugs and I lean in a bit. Jada leans in and whispers,"Chase has chlamydia."

Vince's face immediately scrunches up. "Don't tell me that shit." There's no shock or surprise on my face, because I couldn't care less, two months ago maybe, but now there's hardly any thoughts swarming my mind about Chase.

"You shouldn't of done that dumb shrug then." Jada opens her orange juice carton on the wrong side, but that doesn't stop her from drinking the whole thing.

"I know you find this interesting," Vince nods towards me.

"Uhh no I couldn't care less no offense Jada."