Chapter 5- Unsteady

As we reach the outside of Will's house, I try to keep my jaw from dropping. I'm a little unsuccessful. His house is made of beautiful red brick and has a grey slated roof. There's large white marble pillars and a cream-coloured marble staircase leading to the front door (two double doors made of dark wood). It looks more like a palace than a house. I consider asking whether Will has any royalty in his family.

"You coming?" He asks. I didn't realise that he had already opened the doors. I turn around to look at the firmly shut gates and the beautiful gardens, full of roses, honeysuckle, evergreen trees and the smell of pine. I follow him inside. Inside it's even more stunning.

A grand chandelier hangs from the ceiling and a large wooden staircase leads to the upper floors, covered in a luxurious scarlet carpet. Will notices my shocked expression and sighs. "We have two houses, this is just the one closer to the school. I've never had any guests here - please don't break anything or I'll be grounded for life." Will walks across the hallway. "We can do the homework in the library."

A private library? A PRIVATE LIBRARY???

My eyes immediately go wide. If I lived here, I would live in the library. Will doesn't know what he's missing out on.

Running his hands through his hair, he tells me to follow him and I try to tear my eyes off the beautiful tapestries and paintings. One painting would probably pay for my University fees, a five-seater convertible car with seat-warmers and a grand apartment in an affluent area - I have no doubt that the paintings aren't replicas.

I follow him into the library. This time, my jaw drops even further. The shelves are lined with books from floor to ceiling and the library covers two floors- with a ladder to reach the higher shelves. Will drags me by the arm to a smaller room, still full of books. Gently, I run my fingers over the spines of the books. In this office, there's a large mahogany desk with an expensive laptop and comfy desk chairs.

Sitting down, I sit next to Will, keeping my feet on my points of my toes to make my thighs look smaller - a habit I picked up a couple of years ago. I stare at Will as he logs into the laptop, he looks a lot more serious and a bit more tense. "Do you really think I'm pretty?" I ask. Great icebreaker, right?

"Yeah. Do you?" He asks. Blinking, I process his question. I feel like I have to reply to it, otherwise he'll realise that I'm actually a sad person and he won't be so kind to me anymore. Why do I even care about his opinion anyway? "Don't worry, I'm just kidding." Will smiles, focusing on the laptop, but he turns his head in my direction and winks.

He looks at me like he wants to ask me another question, but he doesn't. "May I?" I ask, gesturing to the computer. Will pushes it slightly towards me, so that it's in between us. I look through some articles on Mrs.Dalloway and we begin to make our presentation on the book.

"God, Septimus is depressing." Will shakes his head. I have to refrain myself from slapping him.

"He has PTSD from the war! Look at Clarissa, her attitude changes constantly, which is a symptom related to depression." I argue.

"He preferred to die than to get the help he needed in a mental hospital!" Will shakes his head. "It's a selfish action."

"How can you say that? It's tragic!"

"I'm just saying he shouldn't have done it, that's all." Will's eyes grow darker. Suddenly, I'm all the too aware of my scars. I feel so unsteady. Telling him about them was never an option, but now it's completely off the table. Will realises he said something he shouldn't and apologises a few seconds later.

"Did you lose anyone?" I ask softly. Wills eyes grow softer, more melancholic and he looks away from me. "My best friend. We were only in middle school. He was only thirteen." Will shakes his head and looks at me, his eyes full of guilt and sadness. "I should've known something was wrong."

Impulsively, I lean forwards to hug him. At first, his body tenses, but then relaxes and I rest my head on his shoulder. He smells like pine and expensive cologne. I wonder whether any of his cologne and pine smell will rub on my clothes. Probably not.

"Thanks." Will says. I pull back from the hug. "I didn't do anything." I say. Looking towards my copy of Mrs.Dalloway, I can tell that we've read quite a lot of it. Frowning, I check my watch. It's 6pm.

Great.

My parents are probably both at home now. "Are you okay?" Will looks at me, concerned. I pick up my copy of Mrs.Dalloway. "I'm really sorry, but I've got to go. To be continued?" I ask, standing up hurriedly.

Will looks slightly confused. I almost run out of the room and I hear Will's footsteps behind me. Grabbing my hand, Will pulls me back. As I turn to face him, I blush (once again). After a few seconds, I realise that he still hasn't let go of my hand. I'm glad he didn't, but I don't know why.

"Wait." Will's expression is almost unreadable. "It's raining." My heart melts just a little. He actually cares about me.

"If you're going, at least allow me to get you a coat." Will pulls me closer to him gently. My face reddens. When he notices how close we are, his face turns slightly red and the tips of his ears go pinkish. He steps back a little and opens a cupboard next to us. "Here." Will hands me a jacket, scarf and umbrella. I recognize the jacket from earlier.

"Are you giving me your jacket?" I say, confused, eyes wide. Will turns a little redder.

Adorable.

"I suppose I am." Will smiles. "Here, let me help you." Will helps me put on the jacket.

Such a gentleman. The thought isn't sarcastic, which suprises me. Will is a gentleman. "Thank you." I smile at him. He gives me a signature wink and opens the doors for me. As the rain pours down heavily, I turn around one last time to look at Will Nox right in the eye and resist the urge to kiss him on the cheek. I open the umbrella and run out into the rain, smelling the addictive scent of Will's clothes and pure rain.
................................................................
Hi! Thank you so much for reading my story, it means the world to me! What do you think of Will?

The song I chose for this chapter is one of my favorite songs, which I discovered in the movie (of the book) "Me Before You". It's amazing and I 100% recommend it! Ironically, the main love interest is also called Will, so it felt fitting to include this song.

Comment below and feel free to vote, thank you! 💛

~CatlikeG