Excalibur

Today was a huge day in Camelot, Arthur was being crowned prince. He knelt before Uther.

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions according to the statutes, customs, and laws laid down by your forebears?" Uther asked.

"I do, Sir," Arthur swore.

"Do you promise to exercise mercy and justice in your deeds and judgments?" Uther asked.

"I do, Sire." 

"And do you swear allegiance to Camelot, now and for as long as you shall live?" Uther asked.

"I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service and to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples."

"Now being of age and heir apparent, from henceforth, you shall be Crown Prince of Camelot," Uther announced. The court applauded. Arthur stands up and faces the crowd.

"So how does it feel to be a servant to the Crown Prince of Camelot?" Gwen teased.

"Washing his royal socks will be even more of a privilege." Merlin groaned.

"You're proud of him, really. Even though you complain about him constantly," Gwen said.

"I am not," Merlin said back.

"You are. I can see it in your face."

"Those socks are very clean! Of course, I'm proud of them." Merlin exclaimed. Gwen and Coventina laugh. A Black-armored Knight on a horse burst through the stained-glass window. Arthur and the knights drew their swords.

"What in the devil's name?" Uther questioned. The horse walked to Arthur and the Black Knight throws down a gauntlet. Arthur sheathes his sword to pick up the gauntlet, but another knight got there first.

"I, Sir Owain, accept your challenge."

"Single combat. Noon tomorrow. Till the death." The Black Knight said. Then he rode out, leaving the entire court in shock. After the court was dismissed, Arthur came to Morgana's where they got into an argument. 

"He shouldn't have picked up the gauntlet!" Arthur yelled.

"So put an end to it." Morgana said, simply.

"The challenge has been taken up. The fight cannot be stopped." he said.

"Then fight in his place." Morgana suggested.

"I can't." Arthur said.

"Why not?" Morgana questioned.

"Owain picked up the gauntlet. Owain is the one who must fight. That's the Knight's Code. He knew that." Arthur explained.

"But it's a fight to the death!" Morgana exclaimed.

"I know." Arthur sighed, then left the chambers to retire to his own. Morgana sighed, sitting down on the bed.

"Gwen, you should go, I can tend to her, tonight." Coventina said, Gwen nodded and left for the night, now Coventina and Morgana could be alone. Coventina rested a hand on Morgana's thigh.

"It is alright, my love, I promise, Sir Owain will win." she said, softly, gently kissing Morgana to calm her nerves, "Now, come you must retire to bed."

The next morning, Coventina followed Morgana down to the stands, Gwen had gone down to give Sir Owain, a favor from Morgana, while Coventina sat next to Morgana, who grabbed part of her dress, still nervous. The Black Knight was waiting as Sir Owain came out with Arthur.

"The fight shall be to the knight's rules! To the death!" Arthur announced, then slid into the stands. The Black Knight and Sir Owain started to fight.