Keeping in Touch

You had returned in time for school to start back up again. You were fortunate enough to have found space in the classes you needed for the semester. Usually it was always so hard to find space around this time. 

School had yet to start so you were free most of your time. You started working out, hoping it would clear your mind but it would eventually lead for you to think of Lena. You had been trying to avoid thinking about her as it always upset you and since you weren't busy, most of your day was spent thinking about her. 

A week had gone by and you hadn't gotten any calls or messages from her. Not even an email and you were beginning to think that maybe you had lost her. It was stupid of you to even expect something from her after what you had done but you just couldn't help yourself. You missed her so much and it took everything in you not to withdraw from your classes to head back to National City. Lena was still getting hounded by the media, beginning for an interview and you couldn't add more gas to the flames. 

You had just come back from your first day from school when you spotted some flowers at your door. You reached down to pick them up, looking up and down the hallway to check if maybe there were from someone else. 

'Hope you had a good first day.  - L.L.'

You checked the back of the card to see if there was more to it but that was it. It made you smile and it calmed your fears about her not wanting to ever see you again. 

You headed inside, putting the flowers in a vase and then headed to the couch while you debated with yourself as to whether or not to call or message Lena. You so desperately wanted to hear her voice because as much as you listened to her old press conferences, it just wasn't the same. Neither rewatching the videos you had managed to record of her when she wasn't looking. 

'Thank you for the flowers. I had a great day. Your flowers just made them better.'

You messaged her. 

Lena smiled as she read your message. She had hoped you would call but settled for the message. It was better than nothing.

It's why she ended up sending you gifts, at least once a week. Hoping to get more messages from you. 

Chocolate, food, books, a brand new phone and laptop, clothes and candy were all being sent to your apartment. 

By the third week, you would send Lena messages about your day. You never expected a reply as she would just answer you with her gifts. You had no idea how she did it but the little cards were always written in her letter. 

These messages and letters were what kept the two of you up-to-date. Lena would tell you about her company. What kind of projects she was working on or whenever she had a particular hard time and you would tell her all about your classes. Explaining to her how you were going out and joining clubs to expand your network.

It wasn't perfect but but it was the best the two of you could do under these circumstances. 

You just wished you could graduate already. Sometimes, you would stay up at night and think about how stupid you had been for leaving Lena but eventually you would come to the conclusion that it was for the better. 

The two of you needed this break.